Struggling to find Palm Kernel Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isy

Reaction score
Hi,

I saw a lot of recipes here combining coconut oil and palm kernel oil. I d love to try a few of them but I struggle to find PKO here in France. I know that I will have to order abroad some but not for now (postage fees are :shock: for just one product).

So, I m just wondering :
Can I replace the PKO by the same amount of coconut oil in the recipe ?
If not, what oil is similar ?

Many thanks in advance
Isy

PKO most closely resembles Coconut oil, so that would be a suitable sub. You'd still have to re-run the recipe through a lye calculator tho, to see how much the lye amount changes, but the overall feel of the soap should be the same IMO. I don't use PKO (tried it & liked it, couldn't justify stocking yet another supply item tho) so for me it's always coconut oil as my main "cleansing/bar hardening" oil.

Thanks MichelleB.

I was not sure about the substitution with coconut. So, now thanks to you I am.

I see I am not the only to wonder about ingredients . Should I get this new ingredients ? Do I need it badly ?

I ve seen recipes with Kpangnan butter. I allready place an order with a supplier about somethingelse and I can easily add it to my list. What do you think ? Does it worth it ? Have you tried this exotic butter ?

Thanks for your advice
Isy

Hey Isy - I don't use Palm in any of my recipes and they turn out fine - however since I've never tried it - I don't know the difference... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lindy said:
however since I've never tried it - I don't know the difference... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lindy you crack me up! :lol:

Isy - I honestly haven't tried Kpangnan butter but I've heard a lot of wonderful things about it, especially when used in whipped butters and creams. It's supposed to be pretty hard, so I think it would be great in soaps too. I've came very close to ordering some in the past but sometimes I'm too cautious for my own good, lol. I love trying new things & different ingredients, but I worry constantly over the expense, shipping from yet another supplier, having to recalculate formulas & recipes, making new ingredient labels, storage space, etc. Soaping is an addiction that's very hard to keep up with! :D

Hi MichelleB,

Thanks for your input. I am thinking about forgetting about the PKO and give a go to the Kpangnan butter. Sounds like a compromise. The recipes that I have seen are only from this forum. I did not look for another purpose. But you intrigued me with your whipped cream (yummy). I have been making cosmetics before getting hooked on soaping. The only forums I know are french ones. So, may I ask for a another favour ? Is there any homemade cosmetics forum out there (the twin of this forum but for cosmetics). I tried yesterday using my friend google but failed.

Isy

do you have a health food store? the brand called "spectrum" is labeled as shotening but is palm oil( not palm kernel).

honor435 said:
do you have a health food store? the brand called "spectrum" is labeled as shotening but is palm oil( not palm kernel).

Hi Honor435,

I don't have any trouble finding palm oil in supermarket here. It's under the brand of Leader Price (discount brand), very cheap. It is the PKO that I struggle to locate.

Thanks
Isy

Back