Strong Smelling Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adenike Adedeji

Reaction score
hello everyone,
Trust we are all doing well. Please I really need you guys to help me out on how to add more fragrance oil to my cp soap for stronger smelling soap. I want to make soap that will smell well and still be able to perceive the fragrance on my skin or clothes after washing off the soap. Please what am I doing wrong, cause many times I have tried to add more fragrance to my cp, the soap batter will become something like watery and it will separate from the oil. has anyone had this experience here and how did you fix it. Please help me out. Also how do I add more lather to laundry bar soap, what order additive gives more lather in laundry soap apart from sugar? I am asking for both bathing soap and laundry soap for washing clothes. my recipe for laundry soap is this: 1. lye, 2. water 3. PKO, 4. sugar .

You can't keep adding more and more fragrance to soap and not run into problems with weeping and separation. There is no solution to this problem except to reduce the amount of fragrance until the amount does not cause problems.

As lsg said, you also need to keep the amount of fragrance within the safe limits recommended by the supplier or within the IFRA guidelines for the fragrance.

The fragrances we use in soap do not usually linger for long on skin or fabric. Fragrances that are based on resins or woods such as sandalwood, dragons blood, etc. are more likely to stick longer than lighter scents like citrus or florals.

Soap lather does not last long especially when soap is dissolved in a lot of water and also when soap is used in hard water. If you want longer lasting lather in these conditions, you need to use synthetic detergents or a blend of soap and synthetic detergents.

It's best to find FOs and Eos that are naturally strong smelling than adding more and more fragrance oil that is not strong enough.

Citrus and coconut scents I find are always very light - as are some fruity scents.

Strong scents that i have used are:
Love Spell from candle Science
White tea from Candle Science
Black Currant Absinthe from Candle Science
Patchouli EO
And various blends that I make up myself from my selection of FOs. I often add Patchouli EO to lighter smelling floral FOs ( like rose) to provide an anchor and boost the scent a little.

I only use 3 - 4% Fragrance PPO in total.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back