Stress, Exhaustion, and Soap Therapy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
Am I the only person who finds making soap therapeutic?

My life feels insane sometimes. Between physical exhaustion from health or work, and the mental exhaustion and toll of stress, there are times when I feel like I actually *need* to soap. The planning, the methodical approach to preparation, the overall focus required to pour an intricate layering plan to achieve a specific design. They all feel very soothing and relaxing (except the lye mixing part lol) and very rewarding. And they force my ADD self to exercise patience because I have no choice but to wait to unmold and cut, then wait some more to test the result.

I'm probably being silly seeing it as therapeutic, but for me it is. Crocheting offers a measure of the same relaxation, as do other crafts. But prior to discovering soaping, the only things I had ever tried that offered the same level of relaxation and satisfaction were art and quilting (interestingly enough, both of which require planning , a methodical approach, and take a while to see results... hmmm)

Just curious :)

Last edited:
I absolutely understand this. Soaping is very similar to baking in my mind, with the important benefit that I will not eat my soaps (baked goods are delicious, but Boyfriend is not tempted by sweets so I end up eating most of what I bake). So I've made 6 batches of soap over the last 6 weeks and my soap room overfloweth. I actually made my first batch after coming home from a job interview and was rather keyed up. Also, since making my rose-scented soap this past weekend, I've just been going into the room and smelling it to feel better every so often.

I've been going through a pretty stressful time lately, and haven't had my theater outlet for the last few months. I'll probably pick my crochet back up when I start rehearsals for the next show I'm in. I do occasionally write, too, but I've been too stressed to write anything but blog posts (and even those are spotty).

I can competely understand this, even though I havent actually made soap yet.
Drawing and painting for me was always a great stress release.

Yes, as long as I get some peace while I'm soaping (rare) it is therapeutic me time. I love it.

You are definitely not alone. Making soap is the best stress reliever for me too. I feel so calm and at peace when I soap. Life has been hard the last few years, but soapmaking seems to relieve all of that.

Wow Shunt, 10 batches! That must take some preparation! Picture of me looking terribly impressed. You must have been in soapy heaven! 8)

I also crochet and find the mindless nature of it very relaxing - I love to do it while binge-ing Netflix. Soaping is relaxing in a different way - I love it because it requires so much focus and thinking that my mind absolutely will not wander to work or family or whatever is stressing me out that day. Planning, setting up, making, and cleaning up is like a couple hours of brain vacation from life! And when I'm done the kitchen smells great. Truly the best.

Dear Hubby is going to be gone Friday afternoon through Saturday evening leaving me alone with just my critters for company. I can't wait to soap!

He doesn't mind if I soap when he's home ... and I love him dearly ... but it's just nice once in awhile to be alone and able to do exactly what I want, when I want to, and how I want to do it. I haven't soaped for some months, and I'm really, really looking forward to it.

Yep all of the above for me.

And I'm the same with crochet BlackDog. I rarely use patterns, I'm usually freestyling it, so it's the most relaxing when I'm on a Netflix binge LOL

And shunt, I spend days prepping for a single batch, let alone 10. Soapy Yoda, you will be called LOL

That prep thing is what trips me up -- I can spend hours trying to decide what scent I want to use, if I want to tweak my go-to recipe or try a new one, agonize over doing decorative stuff, etc. If I am going to make the most of my alone-time this weekend, I really need to do this prep before hand so I can focus on the pleasure of actually soaping while DH is away.

Yup, I can say the same as all of you. I'm a diehard crafter, I love to cook and bake... weekends are often spent in the kitchen. Soaping is very much like cooking/baking but I don't have to be concerned about the added calories that seem to accumulate around my waist. I have a very busy, sometimes stressful job and any kind of crafting helps me to relax. Soap making is no different and the satisfaction just keeps increasing every time I use a bar of my own hand crafted soap.

I love the planning and the reading about soap making, too. Its completely different from any of the crafts I do and it feels good to be learning so much doing something so relaxing. It doesn't get any better than that, does it?

I am in the same boat as well :). For me soaping allows me to release stress, and express creativity. I believe it truly is an art form. I love the whole process starting with the planning, the prepping and the making of. The only thing I dislike are the dishes :p

Yep, I can get lost in the research and planning too. I love the learning, the science, and the art of it. To be able to use such ordinary ingredients to create something beautiful and useful is truly rewarding. I think that's why I'm so enamored of the natural colorants. They're such ordinary things, yet you can use them in any number of ways to make beautiful soap.

Yep. I pretty much agree with what everyone has said. Soaping is a fantastic creative outlet for me, especially now that I'm beginning to experiment with colors and patterns. Plus, I really can't over do it and hurt myself like I have this week with my main passion: knitting. My left arm and hands are swollen and painful right now. No more knitting for a few weeks. I'm off on Monday and I'm planning on filling my soap shelves this weekend.

Yep. I pretty much agree with what everyone has said. Soaping is a fantastic creative outlet for me, especially now that I'm beginning to experiment with colors and patterns. Plus, I really can't over do it and hurt myself like I have this week with my main passion: knitting. My left arm and hands are swollen and painful right now. No more knitting for a few weeks. I'm off on Monday and I'm planning on filling my soap shelves this weekend.

I've had to take breaks from the crocheting for the same reason - aching hands and sore wrists.

Yep, add me to the list for all the same reasons. Quilting is the closest to soaping for me. All the prep of deciding pattern, working out the math to make it work for my needs, picking the colors, etc. is the same process with soap. The skill of the actual sewing, the perfectionism of making those perfect corners and seams became just second nature. Now it's the skill of actually making the recipe and executing the pattern of colors that I'm working on. Some FO's need extra care, just like some fabrics do. And when something doesn't work out for whatever reason, all is not lost because it can always be used for something. Just because it didn't turn out like you envisioned it, doesn't make it bad....just different!

Sort of the same for knitting but it's a lot faster!

Whatever the craft is, for me its the creativity of it that fills me up. I think the hardest part of soaping is going to be the chemistry of it, that's never been my strong suit!

OK...off to knit on that new design! :clap:

I have ptsd and a brain injury, soaping helps me in many ways. Not only does it make me practice focusing, memory, and being in the present but it is an escape from the humdrum day to day living for me. I love seeing a finished project, i love the process and cognitive aspect of soaping and crafting. This is me and I absolutely love it <3 There is something deep, spiritual in creating something and mastering that creativity outlet. <3

Back