Street-side Shea Butter?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwahlne

Reaction score
OK, so I'm talking to a friend of mine who lives in Brooklyn and he's telling me that there are street vendors where he lives selling Shea Better by the ounce....like a hot dog stand!

Has anyone seen/heard about this?

My friend knows nothing about soap so he couldn't tell me much but I'm wondering if this is pure Shea and also where are they getting this stuff from...are they legit?

Street vendors sell EVERYTHING in NYC and it wouldn't surprise me if someone had a shea butter stall. Not a biggie really.

I don't get into the City much but next time I do I'll keep my eyes open.

Oh yeah if you go to 125th street there are african vendors selling shea butter straight, african black soap, incense all types of stuff.

Tabitha said:
I LOVE street vending!

Me too!! I used to be a street vendor - waaaaaaaaaaay back in my hippy days. It was the best summer of my life!!

We'd go early in the a.m. to draw for a vendor spot, then we'd set up & swill down lattes until the tourists began showing up.

We made enough $$ in one spring, summer & fall to get us through to the next spring, so we just hung out all winter replenishing our inventory. What a life!! 8)

We made enough $$ in one spring, summer & fall to get us through to the next spring
Oh goodness! I did that too! I would make enough money to go *somewhere* and when the money ran out I would come home , street vend for a while & do it all over again. I lived for abou 2 years that way. My husband says I am a gypsy.

Yes, I have a dear friend that sells that way and thats how I first learned about shea butter. Its legit and fun to haggle with my friend to get a bargain! :D

Tabitha said:
We made enough $$ in one spring, summer & fall to get us through to the next spring
Oh goodness! I did that too! I would make enough money to go *somewhere* and when the money ran out I would come home , street vend for a while & do it all over again. I lived for abou 2 years that way. My husband says I am a gypsy.

So Cool! 8) So, my doing craft fairs is all about getting back a little bit of that life. I have dreams of "when I retire" to travel from fair to fair.

Yeah, I'm a Gypsy. I've lived in NE where I am now (grew up here,) CA, TX, & CO. During my hippy days, I lived in CA, & my friend & I hitchhiked up & down the CA coast & into Canada.

I know DH & I will find jobs in CO one of these days, sell the house & be off on a new adventure. Eventually, I want to end up in Seattle where my son & grandchildren are.

"The road leads ever onward." :lol:

Ohhhh,

You people are just toooooo beautiful.
Have some flowers in your hair.
I was so damm busy being respectable when i was young. **** again if thats okay.
But its never too late at 56 ?
So you just go squat I take it. Add to the colour of the city?
I can burn Patchouli .
Mary

Re: Ohhhh,

starduster said:
You people are just toooooo beautiful.
Have some flowers in your hair.
I was so damm busy being respectable when i was young. **** again if thats okay.
But its never too late at 56 ?
So you just go squat I take it. Add to the colour of the city?
I can burn Patchouli .
Mary

Things have changed since those good ol' free wheelin' hippy days. Depending on the city, you have to have a Vendor's Permit. I had one when I was in CA & they were hard to get. You had to be on a waiting list for a couple years, or hope someone wanted to quit & maybe get them to give you their permit.

Craft fairs are easier. You just pay your booth or table fee & you're in, unless it's a juried show, which I avoid-fees are usually too high.

Farmers' markets are now the thing here. Still fun, but much more supervised and regulated. Studio tours are the next-best-thing, where hordes of people stroll through your house daily for 3 days. Lots of work, but lots of fun, and I was making $1000 per day selling soap.

Darn! I was in New York last week. If I had only known what I know now I would have bought some shea butter. I only saw vendors with jewelry, drawings, and food!

My town just started a farmer's market 2 years ago. I don't think I've ever seen a soapmaker there though. hmmm.

Jude

anyone just go to a parking lot and sell? I need to sell some soap, somehow, not sure where to start, tax id #? Insurance? do many of you small time people sell without ins?

Back