Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream like Good Humor Man's

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Credit for this recipe goes out to Michael Symon of The Chew:

For the Strawberry Crumbles:

-1/2 cup all-purpose flour (60g)
-1/2 cup milk powder (60g) [I use whole milk powder, but non-fat is good, too]
-1/4 cup powdered sugar (30g)
-2 tsp. cornstarch (3g)
-1/2 cup freeze-dried strawberries (8g) [not 'dried', but 'freeze dried'. Huge difference in consistency, just so you know. I bought mine at Whole Foods]
-4 tablespoons melted butter (56g)

For the Ice Cream Part:

-2 pints (1 qt.) prepared vanilla ice cream
-1 pint prepared strawberry sorbet

Strawberry Crumble Directions: In a food processor or blender, pulse all of the Strawberry Crumble ingredients together- except for the melted butter- until the strawberries break up and become part of the powdered crumb. Or alternatively, you can pulverize just the freeze-dried strawberries themselves using your method of choice– a food processor, mortar & pestle, or a plastic bag and rolling pin– and then whisk them in with the other dry ingredients. When done with either of the methods, drizzle the melted butter over the dry mixture and incorporate until just combined. Set aside.

Ice cream Directions: Either use your own homemade vanilla ice cream and strawberry sorbet, or else use your favorite store-bought (I personally like to make my own and will be happy to share my recipes for both if interested):

Let the frozen ice cream and sorbet sit on the counter for 5 to 10 minutes to soften to a workable/spreadable consistency.

Spray an 8" x 8" baking pan with baking spray and then line the pan with 2 long pieces of parchment or wax paper in overlapping fashion. Make sure the pieces of paper are long enough to overhang the pan on all 4 sides by at least a couple of inches (this will be important for later).

Sprinkle 1/3 of the crumble mixture in the bottom of the pan in an even layer.

Working as quickly as you can, spoon 1 pint of the softened vanilla ice cream in strategically-spaced dollops over the crumbs and carefully spread the dollops out into an even layer over the crumbs in such a manner that the crumbles aren't disturbed too much (this is the hardest part of this recipe, but don't worry, the rest is easy).

Next, do the same with all of the softened strawberry sorbet, spreading it over the layer of vanilla ice cream.

When done, do the same with the remaining pint of vanilla over the strawberry sorbet.

Top off with another 1/3rd of the crumb mixture and very slightly pat down. (Place the rest of the crumbles in a covered container and set aside in the fridge until needed later on.)

Cover ice cream with wax paper pressed onto the surface and freeze for 4 hours or overnight to set up.

Take pan out of the freezer, remove the frozen ice cream from the pan by pulling up on the overhanging liner papers, and cut into 8 even bars.

If you want to have bars on sticks, carefully skewer through each bar-end with a popsicle stick. If you just want a nice layered frozen dessert that you can serve on a plate (like me), omit the sticks.

Next, no matter which form you prefer (stick or non-stick :razz: ), roll/lightly press each bar into the remaining 1/3rd of the crumbs so that they are completely coated with crumbles on all sides.

Serve immediately, or wrap individually and store in the freezer for later.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back