strange texture

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwahlne

Reaction score
I just used a new recipe for the first time and have a question. It's an avocado oil, mango oil, palm kernel with an oatmeal additive.

So, I first combined all the oils and I stir a little with the spoon. Then I move to the stick blender for a little bit. I usually only use the stick blender for only a little while because, as a newbie soaper, I'm afraid of tracing too quickly. So then I go back to stirring with the spoon again. I'm stirring and stirring and it looks like it's getting a a tiny bit thicker, but not tracing. I add the oatmeal. Still not tracing. Figured I could have used the blender a little more so I whip it out again and blend. Definitely thicker now. Then all of a sudden, it gets this weird looking texture like lumpy custard. Panicking, I quickly add the FO, split the batter, color one half and then pour into my mold. Since I was panicking and doing it so quickly, I only made a half/ass attempt at swirling the 2 colors in the mold. It was strange because it seemed to easily pour. But it was lumpy.

Just weird. Any thoughts?

Yeah, I think you should have abandoned your swirling attempt at the abrupt thickening. But I was faced with the same dilemma just yesterday, and to perhaps a similar degree, so I went with the swirl hoping it would come out okay. You should post pictures. My swirl was half axxed, so if yours was similar then no problem. We're newbies, we're learning, we screw up, and partial results are sometimes good. My half axxed result was okay by me, far better than the single color soap I've been making. I expect that most of my future soaps will have swirl attempted.

For many additives, FOs, EOs, colorants, I think you're good to go to add them right after the lye, but I think you should have done all that and then held off your oatmeal until light trace, and then (only then) dump in your oatmeal (powder right? or at least blended the heck out of?) and then go right to the mold as soon as you've got it fully incorporated.

That's what I'd do, but I'm just a newbie.

How did your soap turn out? Sometimes, especially when I use Mango anything, especially butter.. if my oils catch the slightest chill while mixing in the lye, it gets bumpy and creates a false trace... I always try to add warmer lye to cooler oils.

GUESS WHAT??

It came out great!!! I love it! Obviously, the "swirls" are not ideal, but hey, I don't mind them a bit! Yea! I love the natural look with the oatmeal specks, and the green pigment came out perfectly. :D

004-0001a.jpg

I LOVE SOAP!

kwahlne said:
Since I was panicking and doing it so quickly, I only made a half/ass attempt at swirling the 2 colors in the mold.
My advice to you is that you should make a half/ass attempt every time!!! :) :) :) Your results are simply great!!! :) :) :)

Now I'm going to have to get my own ass in 0.5 gear! ;)

Thank you all for the wonderful comments! I wish I could make soap every day! I took advantage of the holiday weekend and made a second batch of soap instead of the usual one-batch-a-weekend.

I have banana scented soap (ha!) coming out of the mold today when I get home from work. I tried to color it, but going into the mold the yellow looked more like orange. We'll see what it looks like when it comes out. I'll probably be posting more pictures.

:)

Thank you! Flattery will get you everywhere! ;)

You soapers are pretty nice and friendly. I think part of it is the non-noncontroversiality of the topics. We're just all enjoying a hobby together and there isn't anything to get all upset and angry about. It makes a pretty nice atmosphere, and a nice alternative to some of the forums I'm in with flames and trolls and arguments and all that stuff. SMF is a refreshing change from the other forums. :)

Back