Strange Outcome in CP soap loafs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amaluna

Reaction score
Hi there, I am new to soapmaking and am using the CP method with silicone loaf molds. So far I have made 3 batches, all with the same recipe which was put through a soap calculator to confirm weights of all ingredients. All 3 have come out with a very weird texture on the loaf. It is not a dust on top like soda ash, and I have yet to cut into a loaf to see if the inside is the same, but I can not figure out what this is or what is causing it. It is smooth to touch, but all of this weird separation is just below the surface and looks very unapealing. I am using Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Castor Oil, and Shea Butter. I have been using powdered mica and titanium dioxide as coloring, and Fragrance Oils for scent. Photos of two bars were attached.

Any help and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

soap issue21.jpg

Soap issue1.jpg

Last edited:
You really need to cut the loaves to see what its doing inside. To me, it does look like a type of ash or possible steric spots. The pink ones look like it could be glycerin rivers too.
Cut the soap then post more pictures. Its not wise to wait too long to cut anyways, if the soap gets too hard it will crumble or crack around the edges when you do cut.

Inside

Here is what the inside looks like on the inside after I have sliced it :sad: The very first batch I ever made turned out perfect but it was using a completely different recipe and was also only about an inch deep and used EO. So I don't know if it is the recipe, the fragrance oil, or the temp of the mold (due to the depth) that I am now having issues with. I think it may be glycerin rivers forming due to the titanium dioxide which was used in all 3 of the flop batches. The dark dots are cranberry seeds by the way.

soap issue31.jpg

Last edited:
Thankyou very much, that looks very much like what has happened in all 3 of my loaves, and they all happen to contain titanium dioxide. I will try a batch without any TD tomorrow and see if that is in fact my issue.

Yeah I see the rivers and I've actually come to like them. :)
The second looks like TD separation. I'm on my phone so it's not real clear but looks like it's pools of white circles.

Yes now that I have seen some other photos of TD issues im pretty sure thats what this is. Thankyou so much for your help guys, I couldn't figure out what the heck I'd done to my soap.

And I am betting you are using water td. I have always had ugly crackling with water td especially if I let it gel and if using close to full water. I never get crackling when using oil td dissolved in glycerin or oil.

I'll let Obsidian reccomend an amount, I haven't really had to deal w/a lot of glycerin rivers. Just wanted to flag that lowering water might make the soap move faster, so make (even more) sure you are using a well behaved FO and have everything ready if you are used to using full water.

I usually use a 33% lye concentration not water as % of Oils. You might try a 30% lye concentration to start with which is the second choice in soap Calc in the #3 section, and see if it helps stop the crackle with your formula. One thing that happens with higher is higher heat. To high heat crackles TD especially water TD.

Back