Strange issue with goat milk and Lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsc

Reaction score
I've used frozen goat milk before with lye but this time something strange happened. I added the lye to my frozen cubes and had anticipated having to use an ice bath. As I added the lye I noticed it was melting the cubes but not burning so I never had to use the ice bath and it never went over 80 degrees. I decided to strain it when I added it to my oils just in case and when I did I noticed a LOT of sediment in the bottom (which I threw out). It seemed to trace OK but at light trace once I added my powdered goat milk (which had been liquified prior to incorporating) I began seeing some of the batter burning. It set up fine, but I've worked with goat milk before and this has never happened. The goat milk had been in my freezer though for a year. Can anyone explain what went wrong?

Pure speculation: I think the sediment you saw was the goat milk fat saponifying. Perhaps your GM separated a bit when you made your cubes, and you happened to use cubes that had higher ratio of fat in them on this batch.

I'm not sure why the batch reheated on you other than the lye had new sugars to react to when you added more GM powder in to your batter.

Latest posts

Back