straight or crinkle?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opalgirl

Reaction score
Do you straight cut or crinkle cut your soap? I straight cut mine but I like the look of the crinkle. Pros and cons to both?

Opalgirl

i love both looks, and have a crinkle cutter but i cant cut straight with it to save my life. :roll:

straight cut. I don't have a crinkle. I like the look, but would not want to use it all the time. I think it is nice for a special effect.

I've got both also but for the life of me I cannot get a straight cut with my straight cutter :shock: I prefer the crinkle look anyway.

i LOVE my krinkle cutter! always did straight, but find that the crinkle cutter hides imperfections cuts a finer line, and gives a smoother finish. hooray for the crinkles!

I think straight is more appropriate for very pretty/decorative type soaps, and crinkle is better for more plain soaps. (gives them a little personality)

cons:

the straight one can fit in most cutters (mitre box) where the crinkle one won't fit sometimes.

if im using the crinkle i feel like i have to cut the end bars on the side to be crinkly too. so there is a bit more waste.

I do the straight cut too, guess I just like a uniform and smooth finish on a bar of soap. Also I was afraid the edges wouldn't look exacly alike, unless your bar landed on the same point of slope on both sides. :roll:

Sometimes I like the wavy cut, but mostly I like the straight cut.

I think for something with swirls or details on the inside of the soap, the wavy cut can add... too much. But for plain soaps adding the wavy cut looks good.

Thats just my opinion though. :)

Don't have a wavy cutter. I cut mine with a ham knife and love the smooth look, I think it looks neater and for swirls you can see them better.

Relle.

A straight cutter here.
I do like the rustic look of a crinkle cutter though.

I have both, and use both - just depends on the look of the soap. Sometimes I'll do part of the log straight, and part wavy- just for fun

I have both, I seem to use the straight one more, I was on a krinkle streak for awhile though! Does anyone find it hurts in the shower? I have muscle pain, so maybe its just me!

Back