Stormy Sea soap pt. 2 with Indigo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mobjack
You just mixed the indigo powder with oil didn't you? You didn't infuse oil with the indigo first?

For this soap I mixed the indigo and oil together and let it sit for 30 minutes before I SB”d into the oils. I have infused oil with indigo and describe that here.

ETA: I ended up discarding the indigo/water/dish detergent mixture I mentioned in the first post.

Last edited:
For this soap I mixed the indigo and oil together and let it sit for 30 minutes before I SB”d into the oils. I have infused oil with indigo and describe that here.

ETA: I ended up discarding the indigo/water/dish detergent mixture I mentioned in the first post.
You don’t show photos of the “pink” attempt.
Have you thought of/ tried infusing it in oil to use it as blue? I heat it over the stove for 2 hrs rather than waiting weeks.
I’m using natural indigo but am thinking of trying to make my own pre-reduced indigo. Just looking for the chemicals now.

It costs a fortune to get it to Oz from dharma trading. There is one seller in Oz but they are out of it.

You don’t show photos of the “pink” attempt.
Have you thought of/ tried infusing it in oil to use it as blue? I heat it over the stove for 2 hrs rather than waiting weeks.
I’m using natural indigo but am thinking of trying to make my own pre-reduced indigo. Just looking for the chemicals now.

It costs a fortune to get it to Oz from dharma trading. There is one seller in Oz but they are out of it.
There’s a “pink” indigo thread, here: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/indigo-pink.75897/page-3
I just added a photo of the indigo pink soap. The color I achieved was very pale pink.

I sometimes use oil for dispersing plant indigo powder. I’m pretty sure that’s how I made the soap in my avatar. ETA: yes, I checked and it was plant indigo powder (Baphicacanthus) from Nurture dispersed in oil. When I do it this way I usually mix it before I weigh out everything and that gives the powder a chance to sit in the oil for at least 30 minutes before I use it. I also have indigo in oil infusion jars, but with those I always shake the jar first to get maximum color in a minimum amount of oil. The powder I have is ultra fine and doesn’t cause any scratchiness in the soap.

Last edited:
Back