Stormy Sea soap pt. 2 with Indigo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A serendipitous feature that appeared in an earlier version of a soap I made with Jagua (from BB), led to an attempt to force glycerin rivers in a soap with indigo. I was ecstatic when I cut the new soap this morning! The indigo looked so grey yesterday, but the blue is perfect today. I hope it holds!

I did some research last night and discovered that indigo can be derived from many different species of plants and also from marine snails :). The kind I used, from Nuture, is also sold by BB. The official species name is Baphicacanthus cusia - (Nees) Bremek, while the traditional indigo plant is Indigofera tinctoria, or other species of the genus Indigofera. I think I read last night that at one point the scientific name of Baphicacanthus was different, but it was late, and I didn’t write down the source. That could lead to some confusion if you’re trying to source from Amazon. Woad (Isatis tinctoria) can also be used to make indigo dye. Most of the indigo in use now is synthetic. You can buy “pre-reduced” synthetic indigo at Dharma Trading. I buy my dyeing supplies there and am always satisfied with their products. More on indigo at SMF, here:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/indigo-root-powder.68583/ (See post #4 about using the “pre-reduced” form)
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/indigo.58076/

I added my indigo to a small bit of oil per the instructions at Nuture. I adjusted the amount to get the color I thought I wanted, approx. 1 tsp ppo. Others have added the powder to water or lye-water. I first tried using water, but found that it is very difficult to get the powder to dissolve. I finally did that by adding a tiny bit (1 drop) of Dawn dish detergent to act as a surfactant. Amy Warden at Great Cakes Soapworks compared different brands (types?) of indigo powder at different concentrations and also different ways of adding it to the soap batter and was able to get a range of colors.

Here are the pics of my soap. They’re part of a series of marine/ocean-inspired soaps that I have been working on since I began making CP soap:

299385ED-326B-4B8A-8636-F53084CBCD02.jpeg 6F0683F6-F0A7-4AA7-942C-DDA192F56ACA.jpeg

Check here for more links on using indigo, and pictures of my soap made with Jagua: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/stormy-sea-soap.75082/

Very nice! Love love love this one!

I have experience with both kinds of indigo and was gonna post about it tonight, after mentioning in another thread that I would. Maybe I'll do that right now lol

Very nice! Love love love this one!

I have experience with both kinds of indigo and was gonna post about it tonight, after mentioning in another thread that I would. Maybe I'll do that right now lol

Thank you Dawni!

I will be super interested to hear about your experiences with indigo. I was so confused about the differing results, the name of the powder I bought, and the apparent grey color of my batter, that I stayed up entirely too late last night searching for more info. I haven’t noticed that anyone in the videos or websites Earlene provided (in my jagua thread) is emphasizing that there are different kinds of indigo or how that might affect the outcomes. I definitely didn’t mean to jump ahead of you on an indigo post. :(

A serendipitous feature that appeared in an earlier version of a soap I made with Jagua (from BB), led to an attempt to force glycerin rivers in a soap with indigo. I was ecstatic when I cut the new soap this morning! The indigo looked so grey yesterday, but the blue is perfect today. I hope it holds!

I did some research last night and discovered that indigo can be derived from many different species of plants and also from marine snails :). The kind I used, from Nuture, is also sold by BB. The official species name is Baphicacanthus cusia - (Nees) Bremek, while the traditional indigo plant is Indigofera tinctoria, or other species of the genus Indigofera. I think I read last night that at one point the scientific name of Baphicacanthus was different, but it was late, and I didn’t write down the source. That could lead to some confusion if you’re trying to source from Amazon. Woad (Isatis tinctoria) can also be used to make indigo dye. Most of the indigo in use now is synthetic. You can buy “pre-reduced” synthetic indigo at Dharma Trading. I buy my dyeing supplies there and am always satisfied with their products. More on indigo at SMF, here:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/indigo-root-powder.68583/ (See post #4 about using the “pre-reduced” form)
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/indigo.58076/

I added my indigo to a small bit of oil per the instructions at Nuture. I adjusted the amount to get the color I thought I wanted, approx. 1 tsp ppo. Others have added the powder to water or lye-water. I first tried using water, but found that it is very difficult to get the powder to dissolve. I finally did that by adding a tiny bit (1 drop) of Dawn dish detergent to act as a surfactant. Amy Warden at Great Cakes Soapworks compared different brands (types?) of indigo powder at different concentrations and also different ways of adding it to the soap batter and was able to get a range of colors.

Here are the pics of my soap. They’re part of a series of marine/ocean-inspired soaps that I have been working on since I began making CP soap:

View attachment 39259 View attachment 39260

Check here for more links on using indigo, and pictures of my soap made with Jagua: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/stormy-sea-soap.75082/
Whoa...looks like a watercolor painting. Great job!

I definitely didn’t mean to jump ahead of you on an indigo post. :(
Eh? What you talking about? I definitely encourage you and everyone else to jump far ahead of me lols.

My posts are mostly geared towards HPers because there wasn't much info around when I needed it, hence my experiments and posts. The colorants in particular do not provide much so I started that series.

S'all good yknow, more info to go around ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of..... Here's a thread where some of our members shared what they know of indigo. I meant it again for HP, but as you'll see most of it is either general info or for CP :)

I thought that I had just found another kind of indigo on WSP. The INCI is Indigo naturalis and the SDS says it’s Baphicacanthus cusia.

@Dawni A reviewer of the indigo powder at WSP wrote this: “This is the most fun I've had with a color in a long time! It's stunnng in hot process soap, just stunning and changes color a bit as it cures.”

I also found detailed information on naturally produced I. tinctoria indigo at the website of a supplier in the UK. Way down at the very bottom of the page, they state that it’s produced in Morocco using traditional techniques, which include fermentation in camel and goat urine :thumbs:

I also found this EU document from 2017 which states that I. tinctoria is safe for use on the head (used in hair dye) in concentrations up to 25%. Per this article at WSP, some species of Indigofera are toxic, so maybe it’s not a bad thing to have spent all this time reading about indigo.

The soaps are so pretty. I just got some indigo and hope to have time to play with it soon. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you @dibbles! I can’t wait to see what you make.

Abolutely marvelous soaps @Mobjack Bay! I can see the foamheads on the breaking waves.. Very well done! I love watching stormy seas, it's somehow very relaxing.

Thank you @szaza! I love the sounds of crashing ocean waves and the look of stormy seas. I’m happy to have found a way to capture it in my soap.

I found a FB group focused on using natural colorants and read a post about using indigo from a TCM store. TCM = traditional Chinese medicine, I think. The maker added the powder at trace and got a very nice medium blue.

An update on my soap - some of the “rivers” in the lower layers seem to be taking on a little bit of a purple hue.

Beautiful!!! I love love love the colors

Wow that is so beautiful! I wish I could make that. So simple yet beautiful.

Thank you both. Rahmi, find some indigo and give it a try! You either want the kind that is “natural” from one of the indigo producing plants, or if you end up with the synthetic crystalline form (it’s “nature identical”) you need the “pre-reduced” blue form. I have some of the crystalline form to try, but haven’t yet. I’m going to put it in my lye water. Apparently it’s very strong and a little goes a long way.

Mobjack
You just mixed the indigo powder with oil didn't you? You didn't infuse oil with the indigo first?

Latest posts

Back