Stormy - named by KiwiMoose

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawni

Reaction score
Is what KiwiMoose named the outcome of this one, although in no way it looks like how I intended it to look lol

If you've seen my that 60s soap, this was another try to supposedly get the corner pour swirl technique right.

Right. I did some playing around with the salt and baking soda amounts in Zany's faux seawater and did not think to factor in that kaolin clay and activated charcoal accelerate trace.

So instead of pouring at emulsion, which this batter seemed to skip lol, I had to make do with batter the consistency of (my) room temp butter, and spooned in alternating colors into my recycled brownie box slab mold.

Interesting note: aside from the obvious charcoal and kaolin, I used moringa and ratanjot. The moringa, which was green in my lemongrass soap, turned speckled tan... And my ratanjot that's supposed to give a purple color, is blue. Let's see if they morph over time.

But even if they don't. I quite like how this failure at the corner pour turned out.

The front of half the batch
_20190304_225314.JPG

Here's a close up where you can see the cross sections of some. These always interest me, even in other people's soaps.
_20190304_225500.JPG

The back of the other half
_20190304_225402.JPG

And another close up
_20190304_225434.JPG

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Thank you everyone!

Definitely stormy skies is what I see. One of them is especially reminiscent of a storm at sea. Lovely. What is the scent?
Unfortunately none. I don't usually scent my trial soaps in case something goes wrong and I'd have to rebatch or toss it. If I knew they'd turn out ok I'd have used something masculine, maybe Cedarwood blended with something. And I have a black pepper EO that I like for some reason, so maybe a blend with that.

@KiwiMoose lemme edit the title lol I used to paint with oils when I was younger and had loads of time. I didn't see it when I unmolded, and I wish I did so I could've taken a pic, but now I'm reminded of one of my old artwork that's now hanging in an uncle's wall. I only wish I can replicate this in the future haha

Is what I'm calling the outcome of this one, although in no way it looks like how I intended it to look lol

If you've seen my that 60s soap, this was another try to supposedly get the corner pour swirl technique right.

Right. I did some playing around with the salt and baking soda amounts in Zany's faux seawater and did not think to factor in that kaolin clay and activated charcoal accelerate trace.

So instead of pouring at emulsion, which this batter seemed to skip lol, I had to make do with batter the consistency of (my) room temp butter, and spooned in alternating colors into my recycled brownie box slab mold.

Interesting note: aside from the obvious charcoal and kaolin, I used moringa and ratanjot. The moringa, which was green in my lemongrass soap, turned speckled tan... And my ratanjot that's supposed to give a purple color, is blue. Let's see if they morph over time.

But even if they don't. I quite like how this failure at the corner pour turned out.

Thanks for readin
Is what I'm calling the outcome of this one, although in no way it looks like how I intended it to look lol

Thanks for reading!

Funny, This is the large and rather expensive painting outside my office. I snapped this phono last week to see what I could do with it in soap. Looks like you beat me to it.
Lobby.jpg

I like this batch, even if it’s not what you expected. It does have a stormy, almost calm before the storm feel to it. Good job, Dawni!

Funny, This is the large and rather expensive painting outside my office. I snapped this phono last week to see what I could do with it in soap. Looks like you beat me to it.
View attachment 37149
Oooh.. Well.. Great minds, yknow ;)
Dawni, I think this is now my favourite soap of yours ... just beautiful :)
Awww thank you <3
Dawni, I hope you can figure out how to replicate this. It is really beautiful.
Yes, that is the goal. I'm really hoping I can.

Is what KiwiMoose named the outcome
did not think to factor in that kaolin clay and activated charcoal accelerate trace.

View attachment 37144
Here's a close up where you can see the cross sections of some. These always interest me, even in other people's soaps.
View attachment 37141
The back of the other half
View attachment 37142
And another close up
View attachment 37143
Thanks for reading!

I don't think it's a given about kaolin and charcoal because they don't accelerate for me.

That's not why I'm writing. ..

Dawni, corner-shmorner, those soaps are Gorgeous and so unique!!! I am so happy that the pour you planned came out THIS way. You have developed into one of MY soap heroes on the Forum. ;) Keep up the great work, hon. <3

Last edited:
I don't think it's a given about kaolin and charcoal because they don't accelerate for me.

That's not why I'm writing. ..

Dawni, corner-shmorner, those soaps are Gorgeous and so unique!!! I am so happy that the pour you planned came out THIS way. You have developed into one of MY soap heroes on the Forum. ;) Keep up the great work, hon. <3
Ah maybe I used the wrong word. For me they have a tendency to thicken up my batter quicker than usual. That coupled with the faux seawater tweaks made fluidity hopeless lol

Thanks Meena, good vibes from you make me feel real good this morning :)

@Steve85569 I tend to post all even the mistakes, in case someone stumbles across them and learns a thing or two hehe.. And thank you!

Yes, accelerate = thicken up batter fast. Nothing has done that to me so far. People say Castor oil accelerates on them, but not on me. Is it my water, my climate, what? Hey, I'm not complaining, but I would like to understand. :cool:

I'm so happy that I made you feel good. <3

And by the way, I've been meaning to say this ever since you put up the current avi -- your mother is Beautiful!!! Tell her I said so. :)

Latest posts

Back