storing soaps in fridge?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissBee

Reaction score
So I made a risky decision to make soap out of two year old grapesseed oil. It both looked and smelled fine, but I didnt realize how horrible the shelf life was. 15% grapessed with an 8% superfat *cringe*. After my soap is finished curing, can I store it in the fridge long term to slow the DOS forming? I didn't know if storing in the fridge would cause other issues in the soap. Gotta ask before just in case! :-D

As a bonus, here's some soaps I made. Only one has the old oil.

11830925_10153120119918651_1220824359_n.jpg

Last edited:
I had a batch of castile start developing DOS after 2 months. I wrapped it in paper and tossed it in the deep freezer. Left it there for a year before I checked it. The DOS stopped and the soap was unaffected by freezing it but I do suspect the long cure castile requires was also slowed or stopped.
I don't know how well the fridge will slow down DOS but its worth a try and it won't harm the soap.

Perfect time for a test imo..leave one bar out and toss the rest in the fridge or freezer :)

Back