Storing of vanilla pods

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoegarden

Reaction score
The bakery supplies shop in my homeland sell vanilla pod and keep them in the fridge. I am now confuse over the treatment of keeping the extra pods.

The pods are taken out from the fridge, in order to keep the extra not use, do I:
1) Keep them back into the fridge; or
2) thaw the pods, dry them, keep them in bottle of sugar (according to a netizen, the sugar will help to keep the pods dry, and the by product is vanilla sugar.); or
3) any other methods?

I really like the idea of storing them in sugar. This is what my mom used to do, and if I had vanilla beans I would do the same if not for baking, for making sugar scrubs or sugar bars out of.

The beans I buy don't need to be refrigerated. We keep ours in a plastic bag like a Ziploc bag and just put them in a dark, cooler place in the house, usually one of the kitchen drawers or in the pantry closet. We do keep 2 of them in a canister with sugar to make vanilla sugar. We also make our own vanilla extract with 3-4 beans in a bottle of the cheapest vodka we can find.

The beans I buy don't need to be refrigerated. We keep ours in a plastic bag like a Ziploc bag and just put them in a dark, cooler place in the house, usually one of the kitchen drawers or in the pantry closet. We do keep 2 of them in a canister with sugar to make vanilla sugar. We also make our own vanilla extract with 3-4 beans in a bottle of the cheapest vodka we can find.

Vanessa, the issue is the pods that I am going to buy back, are from the fridge initially (seller put them in fridges). You know when things goes into the fridge, its at a different temperature. When you keep bringing it in and out of the fridge, it will spoil faster.

And I don't even know if they can be stored outside since they already went into the fridge before. That's why I am asking all over around to confirm.

So confusing. LOL

Latest posts

Back