Storing Lye

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Bamagirl

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could store lye in the freezer? I live in Alabama and the humidity is bad here right now. The last couple of batches of soap I made, I noticed the lye had a couple small chunks and I am assuming it is from the humidity (I store it in the original Essential Depot container inside a ziploc bag). I will use up the last of it today, so I need to order more, but don't want to run the risk of it going bad since I don't make tons of soap (I only soap about once a month). So, I was wondering if storing it in the freezer would help or would it hurt it? Thanks in advance!

P.S. The soap that I made seems to be fine, the lye heated to 180 degrees and there were no surprises. The last batch does seem a little oilier than normal (it's my go to recipe, so I've made it a bunch), but that could be because it is only 3 weeks old or it could even be in my mind :think: )

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I would think it would absorb moisture from the freezer. I could be wrong. I store mine in the original bottles inside a plastic bag in s sealed bucket. I don't have a gamma seal though. Little clumps shouldn't really affect the soap though. Mine have some slight clumping sometimes bit it's not been an issue

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I store my lye in a bucket with clay kitty litter (you can dry it back out in the oven) and a tight lid, not a gamma lid, in a Ziploc bag, and in the original container. Even with 100% humidity for days now, the weight has not changed at all.

Latest posts