Storing liquid soap "paste"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rperr2011

Reaction score
Are there any advantages in terms of preservation or otherwise to storing undiluted liquid soap "paste" in an airtight container for dilution at a later time?

If so, how do you store your liquid soap paste? Does refrigeration help/is it necessary?

Thanks again.

Paste is more compact than diluted soap, so if storage space is limited, it makes sense to keep the soap in paste form and only dilute as needed.

If you want to use the paste directly for general cleaning or for no-spill convenience when camping or traveling, that's another reason for keeping at least some of the paste undiluted.

Keeping the paste (and diluted soap for that matter) in a cool, dark place will reduce the chance of oxidation and rancidity. Some people keep the paste in the fridge for that reason.

Paste is more compact than diluted soap, so if storage space is limited, it makes sense to keep the soap in paste form and only dilute as needed.
:thumbs:
If you want to use the paste directly for general cleaning or for no-spill convenience when camping or traveling, that's another reason for keeping at least some of the paste undiluted.
:thumbs:
Excellent advice! I dilute at 5 parts paste to 1 part water -- for that purpose. A little water just helps it to lather up better.

Soap bit.JPG

If so, how do you store your liquid soap paste? Does refrigeration help/is it necessary?
Early in my LS making career I stored the paste in a ZipLoc bag in the fridge. The recommended amount of time was 12 weeks max. At that point the paste became dried out and more difficult to dilute -- but it wasn't spoiled at all.

I readily admit, I am "Old School". I make my Basic LS a gallon at a time and dilute it as soon as it passes the clarity test or testing with phenolphthalein drops.

Although the recommendation to "sequester for 2 weeks" has fallen out of favor with the latest methods, the advantage to diluting the LS early on, is that the 2-week Sequester Phase allows time for any problems to show up before bottling up -- i.e. -- for an opaque batch to clear; for any excess oil to rise to the top or sediment to settle to the bottom; and for any other imperfections to become apparent.

2¢ Worth.gif

Back