Store dry lye in THIS container?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackBoar

Reaction score
It's got the 5 PP symbol (so I think that's good)

It's a little squishy so it's not that thick

It's got a twist top

and the top is made of the same 5 PP plastic material.

Can I measure out my dry lye into these, close them and store them until I'm ready to make soap?

container.jpg

It is not as air-tight as it says. So, no, I would not store lye in that.

How did you buy your lye? If it was in a bottle with a secure lid, then leave it in that. If it was in a bag, put it in those containers (above), put it into a 5 gallon bucket with a gamma lid, with at least 3 inches of clay type kitty litter (NOT scoopable) in the bottom. That is going to be your best bet to keep your lye dry. Weigh each container before and after every use. Write them down. If your lye gains weight while stored, come back here for help before using.

Last edited:

How did you buy your lye? If it was in a bottle with a secure lid, then leave it in that. If it was in a bag, put it in those containers (above), put it into a 5 gallon bucket with a gamma lid, with at least 3 inches of clay type kitty litter (NOT scoopable) in the bottom. That is going to be your best bet to keep your lye dry. Weigh each container before and after every use. Write them down. If your lye gains weight while stored, come back here for help before using.

What about dry climates? Susie brings up good points. I keep my lye in the plastic containers they come in. If those containers leak air they will suck up the moisture and ruin in time.

Last edited:
Yes, what Susie said -- Those "glad" type containers are handy and safe for exposure to NaOH, but the containers just are not tight enough to keep the lye as dry as needed.

Home Depot and Menards (midwestern US) carry gamma lids or you can order them online. Here's an example: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite-5-gal-Screw-Top-Lid-5GAMMA6/203205720 Thanks to KChaystack for this tip!

ETA: In very dry climates, this level of protection might not be as necessary, but NaOH is a powerful desiccant in its own right, so I'd store it like this even if I lived in Arizona or other dry climate. Using a gamma lid and 5 gallon bucket for lye storage also adds another layer of safety -- this kind of storage will safely contain the alkali even if the product container cracks or leaks. It also discourages curious hands and critter noses. Another type of lid that is more child resistant is this one: www.disasterstuff.com/store/pc/Life-Latch-Bucket-with-Lid-5-Gallon-12p1166.htm

Last edited:

Whoa that's complicated, thank you, I've never heard that before with the litter.
I got a small amount (enough for 7 test batches) from Candorasoaps, pretty similar container actually, just opaque and a little thicker. I keep it in that, then a plastic bag, then a food grade bucket (for safety mostly). Sorry I should specify, I would store it (measure it out into these containers) for a day or maybe if I fall asleep, overnight. I'd put these containers in a bucket until they are ready to use too. Probably just measure out my lye for three batches, and then make them all in one day.

Now that I know just how sensitive it is, I'll start to make sure the bucket is closed and keep that in mind when I buy larger amounts.

I live in a high humidity area, I fight the humidity monster on a regular basis. I have learned to only order small amounts of lye, and accept that I am going to pay lots for shipping. This is what I do for my own lyes if I don't use them fast enough. I learned from someone on here. It works. It stopped my NaOH and KOH from absorbing moisture between uses.

I live in a high humidity area, I fight the humidity monster on a regular basis. I have learned to only order small amounts of lye, and accept that I am going to pay lots for shipping. This is what I do for my own lyes if I don't use them fast enough. I learned from someone on here. It works. It stopped my NaOH and KOH from absorbing moisture between uses.

I live in Toronto Canada, so in the warmer months it can be pretty humid. I spend my winters in Arizona where it's very dry.

I store my lye in 1 gallon plastic (#5) mayo jars. I seal all but 1 jar with duct tape. The current jar I am using is not sealed. I do not measure my lye before and after each use. Also, I got out of soaping for several years...and the lye in the jar was fine. I live in a humid climate and my lye is stored in an underground basement. I have never had a soap batch fail for some reason that could only be blamed on the lye.

I think those containers will be fine. The lip of the container would make it hard to seal with tape, I think, so I'd just seal each container in a 1 gal ziplock.

Latest posts

Back