Store Closures and openings

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by earlene, Jan 16, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jan 16, 2018 #1

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

Sam's Club is closing the new store (2 or 3 years old) in Moline this month. In fact more than 25% of all Sam's Clubs in Illinois are closing.

Happily, though, Costco is opening a new store in Davenport, IA and I really miss Costco. They treat their employees so much better and I like their product choices so much more. My husband says it's supposed to open in May. I will finally be able to buy Kirkland Olive Oil.

amd, dibbles and Susie like this.
  2. Jan 16, 2018 #2

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

Supporting Member

I have only been in a Costco once or twice, but I agree with you, Earlene -- I like it better than Sam's Club. I don't have any clue if they treat their employees better than the Walton empire does, but Costco products are more interesting and useful to me.

3. Jan 16, 2018 #3

bathgeek

bathgeek

bathgeek

DeeAnna likes this.
  4. Jan 16, 2018 #4

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

Supporting Member

That's good to know. I appreciate companies who treat people fairly.

5. Jan 17, 2018 #5

Laurabolyard

Laurabolyard

Laurabolyard

Supporting Member

Costco here in Florida has a great reputation for that as well. Our Sams is closing on the 26th. No love lost with me, although there are many parents from our school that work there. I understand that they will be paid until March, that's a very good thing!

6. Jan 17, 2018 #6

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member Supporting Member

We have a Costco close to where we live. Our kids had friends who worked there, and while it might not have been their dream job, I never heard any of them complain. Costco is one of the few stores DH doesn't mind going to, so he generally is the one who shops there. I just give him a list :mrgreen: Also, his being the one to go helps me avoid the Chicago Mix popcorn samples.

earlene and Arimara like this.
  7. Jan 17, 2018 #7

lsg

lsg

lsg

Staff Member Admin  

My sister has worked for Walmart for years. Things have changed since Sam Walton died. When he was in control, the employees were well treated. They even had the option of buying stock in Walmart.

8. Jan 17, 2018 #8

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

Costco does regularly make lists of great companies to work for.

Also, CHEESE.

9. Jan 17, 2018 #9

Dahila

Dahila

Dahila

Supporting Member

I know many people who work there, and no one thinks about quitting, Costco is huge but Customers are really respected there, Most of my shopping is done there. :) in 2019 Ikea is coming to my city finally , the closest one is 190 km

10. Jan 17, 2018 #10

mommycarlson

mommycarlson

mommycarlson

Supporting Member

earlene, that is great news, not about Sam's closing, but about Davenport getting a Costco, I'm always envious of the stuff my SIL gets from there and I'm only about 40 minutes from D-Port!

earlene likes this.
  11. Jan 17, 2018 #11

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin  

I belong to both. I frequent Costco much more frequently as they are on my way home from work. Sam's things I like that Costco doesn't have but I buy more at Costco. So, when my Sam's expires I won't be renewing it. I have a couple family members that work for Costco and they don't mind it at all. Say it's a great company to work for.

12. Jan 17, 2018 #12

earlene

earlene

earlene

Mommycarlson, I did not realize we were so close. Before Sam's came to Moline, I did all my Sam's shopping in Davenport. The new Costco is going to be very near where Target & Aldi are at 53rd Ave and Elmore, so a good location off of I-74 and not far from I-80 on the north end of town. Even Hwy 61 would get you there if you come from North of Davenport.

13. Jan 20, 2018 #13

HowieRoll

HowieRoll

HowieRoll

Supporting Member

I've used the Kirkland Olive Oil since I started soaping; it seems to be of great quality and I love it. One thing I'll note is that the first time I bought it (April 2016) I believe the price was $26.99 for 2 3-liter bottles, and now the price is up to $31.99. It's still my go-to olive oil, but if the price keeps creeping up, it may be time to explore other options.

Regardless, enjoy the new Costco - we've found it's like having a dishwasher. Once you have one, you can't envision living without it! :)

14. Jan 21, 2018 #14

maya

maya

maya

I have a big puffy pink heart crush on Costco.

Lin19687 likes this.
  15. Jan 21, 2018 #15

SunRiseArts

SunRiseArts

SunRiseArts

Supporting Member

I have to say though, that Walmart also hires all types of people. When my oldest was 17, and he has autism, nobody wanted to give him a job, but Walmart did. So I was so thankful for that.

Zany_in_CO and dibbles like this.
  16. Jan 21, 2018 #16

CTAnton

CTAnton

CTAnton

I shop twice a month at Costco, and never leave without a rotisserie chicken. I recognize all the faces of the employees there from many a moon ago...one can only presume with low turnaround in the employee ranks they must be happy...

17. Jan 24, 2018 #17

earlene

earlene

earlene

Well we went over to the closing Sam's Club in Moline today. 75% OFF everything but the liquor, which they can't legally do in Illinois, so guess what was left? TONS of liquor! We don't buy liquor anyway, so all I bought was a couple of bottles of salad dressing, a book by Lee Childs that I haven't read yet and that was it. The humungous warehouse is almost completely empty. They officially close in 3 more days, but there's really nothing left to buy unless you want liquor, salad dressing, eye glass frames, or one of 4 different software items, and something called HearMuffs for babys. That's all there was left. Oh, and three or 4 books.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  18. Jan 24, 2018 #18

jcandleattic

jcandleattic

jcandleattic

Costco really does treat their employees much better - they pay them better, their benefits are better, more full time employees, and it's just a better environment.

Not sure what they were like before Sam Walton died (or when he died) - my sister has worked for Sam's for 15 years, and has just surpassed the $15 an hour mark. Barely got offered benefits (full time) 5 years ago, and has been denied management positions several times even though she has a business degree in management.
    Their bonus' are directly related to the particular store they work in, and the profit/loss margins that particular store has.

My nephew (her son) worked at that same Sam's for about 6 months, quit, went to work at Costco in the same department (meat dept.) and he said it's like night and day - the pay, benefits, atmosphere, and just general respect from the management team are (in his words) "a billion times better"

Maybe my sisters experience is unique to this particular store/area, but IMO, with everything I've seen, heard and read, Sam's is not a great place to be an employee at.

DeeAnna likes this.