Storage

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjt123

Reaction score
I stored my soap in the garage last summer. Problem is I live in Las Vegas and the garage gets really hot. My soap now doesnt smell too good. I could just keep it in the house but is there any benefit to keeping it in the fridge?

What do you think caused the off smell? Rancidity? Absorbing an unpleasant scent from the garage?

If it's rancidity, the 'fridge can at least slow its progression, but it won't undo anything.

If it's absorbed an off odor from the garage...you may be stuck with it.

Are you meaning for this batch that already smells off, or for future batches?

In the house should be fine, but there's probably not a lot that can undo rancidity or off-smells in the current batch.

If it isn't rancidity, trying planing it. If you don't have a planer, trying running it under hot water for a few minutes (wearing gloves to prevent fingerprints). Sometimes that will "awaken" the original scent if it has faded or been stored too close to a strong scent and absorbed some of it's buddy fragrance.

Sorry. I didnt phrase the question very well. Yes it smells a bit rancid and I meant would there be any advantage to future batches being kept in the fridge?
Also would the cooler temps help preserve the scent? I always have problems with the scent lasting which is why I rebatch after 24 hrs then add the scent.

If it isn't rancidity, trying planing it. If you don't have a planer, trying running it under hot water for a few minutes (wearing gloves to prevent fingerprints). Sometimes that will "awaken" the original scent if it has faded or been stored too close to a strong scent and absorbed some of it's buddy fragrance.

Back