Storage of CP in summer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mommysoaper

Reaction score
I have been worried about storage and curing of all my CP soaps during the summer. I used to live in GA and had central air and kept things very cool so I had no issues for previous summers, but we are now in upstate NY and the temps and humidity have been high! We have no AC in our new home and not to sure we can afford to buy window units. Will curing soaps be ok or should I invest in a window unit for at least one room and store them in there? Hopefully these crazy temps will not last as, from what folks up here tell me, this heat is unusual for the area. Thanks!

yeah i live in western MA and we have the same heat wave. its rediculous. the heats been killing me and i had sweating on a batch of my soap for the first time. this heat wave is very unusual and should be over soon, but the humidity in the north east stays on the higher side all summer. i moved all my soap into my bedroom with an ac. now my room smells like eucalyptus, lemon, and lavender haha.

Well I don't know much about the north east being from Georgia myself but I do remember something about cellars/basements being used to store away goods that needed to be kept cooler from something or other I read as a kid. So maybe that can help.

I think I would store the soap in the coolest room in the house. We have high humidity here, in Missouri, but nothing like GA. Before we installed central air, we used window units. A small window unit for one room is not that expensive at Walmart or Sam's Club.

dehumidifers are cheap atleast down here they are because honestly come august its normal to have 90+% humidity and triple digits and if your not careful porous flooring sweats but i cant really speak for any where else furthest north i remember living is virginia and i honestly dealt more with snow that heat

Thanks for the advice. My husband decided to get a couple of window units for the first floor. Hopefully that will help. I cure most of my soaps on the first floor. I wish I could use the basement, but it's so damp. Will try a dehumidifier maybe. Frustrating as I know we will be moving again in another year and will be somewhere completely different with completely different weather! Love the military life!!

Is there any problem with high temperatures for CP soaps that are in the curing process?

I have no humidity problems but temperature here will rice at 40 degrees Celsius the next two months. Should I worry about it ?

There is an air condition in every room but I would really prefer to avoid taking the soap bars inside the home.

I thought that dry and hot will be no problem for the curing process. I don’t think that in Aleppo Syria they are using any kind of air conditioning for making their superb soaps.

I live in Kansas where heat is a norm (90 is low in the summer) and I store mine in the garage where it is as hot as it is outside. I have never had any problems, either in the heat of the summer or the cold of the winter. I have had some sweating but it's been few and far between and the soap was just fine.

Thank you Kansas Farm Girl. But as I see in the convertor 90F and 40C are different and this may cause a difference in the curing.

The single best investment I've made to conquer this issue is a dehumidifier. I'll run it at night and when it turns on the humidity level is anywhere from 70%-90% depending on the weather. When I wake up in the morning the levels are down to a minimum of 40% and the water container is full, full, full. Dehumidifiers (at least good ones) are far more effective at removing humidity than window AC units IMO. The window units helped, but just couldn't keep up like the dehumidifier!

... But as I see in the convertor 90F and 40C are different and this may cause a difference in the curing.

Yes, it's different, 105F is about the same as 40C, which we do get, but we do not typically get the humidity that others get. That could be a bigger difference than the temp. I can see where a high % humidity could slow the evaporation of water out of the soap where as my 40-60% and 90-100 F temp may actually pull water out faster. I have visited places with higher humidity and lived in lower, I always feel like I need to grow gills when it starts getting over 60 and find 60 too high, so can't imagine what soap does in that type of humidity. In my mind it seems like it would feel sticky even when it's never been in the shower.

I live in the wet tropics, where humidity is over 90% for much of the year. I have a small AC unit in the room where I make and store my soaps. Recently I was gifted a soap from Palm Springs in southern California where the temperatures are much higher than here and the humidity is very, very low. It is a goats' milk soap and has been sweating profusely ever since I opened it. It makes me wonder what soaps I make would be like in a different climate.

Latest posts

Back