Stones in the River Salt Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My recent “tide pool” salt bars and a photo @Dawni posted in another thread, inspired me to try coloring a batch of salt bars to looks like river stones. I especially like the bottom one. Please excuse my lack of photography skills!
06BA2176-2FDF-4AF2-99A6-1CC714B84835.jpeg

I think your photography skills don't need to be excused lol the picture is fine.

The soaps are more than fine! I was just watching a video of someone sculpting river stones and the one on top looks like one of his.

Thanks @Dawni and @cmzaha although I was resistant initially, I have to admit that playing with micas is fun. These bars have quite a bit, as you can tell from the intensity of the colors. I guess I will be learning how they do over time in salt bars. I’m also curious to know if using micas at high concentration will cause colored lather.

The soaps are beeyoutiful!! I absolutely love them! And I need to get some more molds for my soap...
Thank you! It took me a bit to figure out how to get good results with the oval molds, but I have the hang of it now. I have fairly small hands and I almost need two hands to hold one of the loaf mold soaps, especially when they’re new.

Verry pretty!! The top one looks like one of those nasa pictures of a nebula.. impressive! I've never had much luck trying to get a nice pour in an individual mold, but yours look awesome!

Verry pretty!! The top one looks like one of those nasa pictures of a nebula.. impressive! I've never had much luck trying to get a nice pour in an individual mold, but yours look awesome!
Thanks szaza! You can do this! I’ve been pouring/spooning the portions into a funnel pitcher, doing a little in the pot swirling and then pouring into the individual molds from the pitcher. I’ve done it twice now and made the same *mistake* both times of putting most of the uncolored batter in the pitcher first. Since the salt bar batter is on the thicker side, it’s been difficult to swirl all the way to the bottom. If I do it again, I will layer the colors a a bit more as I add them to the pitcher.

These are so beautiful. From the way they look in the photo I don’t think you will have any problems with colored lather. Very nice job.
Thank you and it’s good to know that users won’t necessarily turn colors when they use them. I won’t always be using this much mica, but thought it would be fun to try some soaps that are a bit more intense/bright.

Nebulas! I have a friend who is a rocket scientist for NASA and will need to remember to save that one for her!

Latest posts

Back