Stinky dog dilemma

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
Remember the sweet little guy I adopted last December? Well, he continues to be the best dog ever. But...there's this one thing that has me scratching my head. I have a screened porch and he and the cat often spend time out there. He loves to bark at the squirrels and anything else that makes noise in the back yard. Many times when he comes back into the house, he just reeks of doggy odor. If you have a dog, you know the smell I mean. Like wet dog. And he's a little guy, but the smell is really BIG. I can smell him from across the room! If I pick him up and smell him, it's almost overwhelming. But wait about 10 minutes, and the smell is gone. I don't mean lessened, I mean gone. I take my nose and put it right on him, and there's nothing. Granted, it's been a long time since I've had a dog, but I don't remember anything like this. I'm wondering if maybe when he's in alert mode, barking at something, if he produces this smell to make himself "scarier"? Is that possible? Just look at that face! How is it possible for something so cute to stink??? :Kitten Love:

DSCN0829.jpg

When I read the title I wondered if you fed him wet or dried food, but I haven't known that smell to come and go like that.

If that area different environmentally from the rest of the house?

I feed him dry food (the good stuff), and fresh veggies. The porch is a lot warmer than the house, and I thought of that too. I sat outside with him, and waited a while to let him warm up, picked him up and sniffed. Just a tiny bit of doggy smell. I waited until he started barking at something, sniffed again. Same. I'm so confused! Maybe when I'm out there with him, he doesn't feel the need to seem "scary", (I'm assuming the odor may be to intimidate other animals). I'm baffled. :think:

The "Dog in Sun" smell is pretty typical, IME. The smell's probably coming from his feet.

Hmmm...dog in sun, huh? That's possible, I guess. When I did the experiment today, I sat on the shady side of the porch, because it's hot today, and he stayed near me, cause I had treats. As far as the feet, it may come from his feet, but if it does, it comes from all the rest of him too, because I usually smell the scruff of his neck, and that stinks for sure. But it's really amazing that in a few minutes, there's no smell at all! Doesn't matter, I'd love him anyway. :-D Stinky or not. But not is better!!!

Thanks for the input George and EG!

Hot doggo = more stinky is my bet.
Also, in my experience all dogs feet smell like Fritos - go check, I need more data.

Fritos??? To me, dog feet smell like popcorn! :lol: C'mere Scout. Yup, popcorn. Why don't our feet smell like yummy snacks? :think:

smell the ears , you will receive smell of fresh mushrooms
BTW do you massage his rectal area, they have the glands there and sometimes they get blocked or overproducing the stink.......

Does it come and go as he's panting? How do his teeth look? Little guys like this often have horrible teeth that need cleaned regularly and awful breath is a symptom of that.

But, if they're very frightened and freaked out they also can express their anal glands, and that REEKS. It won't happen if he's calm and happy though, it will usually be if he's been startled or if he's been terrified.

There's also that some dogs just smell like...dogs.

smell the ears , you will receive smell of fresh mushrooms
BTW do you massage his rectal area, they have the glands there and sometimes they get blocked or overproducing the stink.......

Nope, not massaging his rectal area. This is an overall smell, and it's just normal doggy odor...but strong. I think George hit the nail on the head. I'm going to have to check his ears for mushrooms. :)

Does it come and go as he's panting? How do his teeth look? Little guys like this often have horrible teeth that need cleaned regularly and awful breath is a symptom of that.

But, if they're very frightened and freaked out they also can express their anal glands, and that REEKS. It won't happen if he's calm and happy though, it will usually be if he's been startled or if he's been terrified.

There's also that some dogs just smell like...dogs.

Nope, not from his mouth. He actually has good teeth and gums. Thinking this is not from anal glands as it's just the typical doggy odor, but strong. Especially for being as small as he is, it's a lot of stink. Thank goodness it doesn't last. :)

I like to say my little dogs stink because they are closer to the ground and pick up more odors lol. Does he have a blanket or rug he lays on when on the porch? Soft materials pick up doggy odor really quickly and can transfer to dogo. I wash bedding every week.

Nope, not massaging his rectal area. This is an overall smell, and it's just normal doggy odor...but strong. I think George hit the nail on the head. I'm going to have to check his ears for mushrooms. :)
healthy ears smell like wild mushrooms :) He is a wonderful dog :) so lucky to have you

Hmmm....I haven't experienced that with my pups. Don't get me wrong, my pups get stinky; but once they're stinky they stay stinky. :sick: Usually they have to be bathed every 2-3 weeks. It's not a small job considering that my smallest is 65 pounds. I'd go with "dog in the sun" smell as well. I have noticed when mine come in from playing they tend to smell a bit more than usual, but it's very mild. Either way, he's such a cutie; smelly or not. :)

I like to say my little dogs stink because they are closer to the ground and pick up more odors lol. Does he have a blanket or rug he lays on when on the porch? Soft materials pick up doggy odor really quickly and can transfer to dogo. I wash bedding every week.

I like the idea about being close to the ground means he picks up more odors. The close to the ground part certainly applies to him! He doesn't rest when he's on the porch. He's on alert, protecting me from chipmunks, neighbors, the wind, the world. Such a good guard dog. His bed is indoors, and he has a fluffy blanket that he likes to cover himself with. I wash those regularly, and they've never had this loud doggy odor. Here he is in his bed, wrapped in his blanket.

DSCN0652.jpg

healthy ears smell like wild mushrooms :) He is a wonderful dog so lucky to have you
That lucky part goes both ways! :)

Hmmm....I haven't experienced that with my pups. Don't get me wrong, my pups get stinky; but once they're stinky they stay stinky. :sick: Usually they have to be bathed every 2-3 weeks. It's not a small job considering that my smallest is 65 pounds. I'd go with "dog in the sun" smell as well. I have noticed when mine come in from playing they tend to smell a bit more than usual, but it's very mild. Either way, he's such a cutie; smelly or not. :)
There are definitely advantages to having a small dog. I don't envy you having to try to bathe great big ones. And yes, he is a cutie, and such a good boy. A good advertisement for dog adoption!

The puppy is probably just sweaty/hot, as others have said. This happens to my little sweetie (she's a Maltese) when she and her sister get together and rough-play. They both smell like wet sweaty dog (because they are) and after the sweat has evaporated/dried, about a half hour or so, it goes away.

The puppy is probably just sweaty/hot, as others have said. This happens to my little sweetie (she's a Maltese) when she and her sister get together and rough-play. They both smell like wet sweaty dog (because they are) and after the sweat has evaporated/dried, about a half hour or so, it goes away.

you must know that dogs sweat only on their feet. To cool the internal temp they do it by mouth :) They have no sweat glands except under their paws

Feet or anal glands.......since you think not anal glands, hot feet!

Maybe have him walk through a shallow bath with a drop of doggie shampoo on his way in? Or across a damp towel? Or just get some wipes and wipe the feets :).

you must know that dogs sweat only on their feet. To cool the internal temp they do it by mouth :) They have no sweat glands except under their paws

Nope. Did not know that, but my dog does get that 'stinky wet dog' smell after playing roughly with her sister, and they feel damp (probably slobber then) after they play, but the smell goes away after about 20 minutes to a half hour, then they just smell like normal dogs.

I do give my pup a bath every week though (only shampooing every other week), so she somewhat always smells clean.

Back