Still usable?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Msly88

Reaction score
Hi all,
It’s my first time making breastmilk soap and used the melt and pour method. I bought the goat’s milk soap base. I did not cut it into pieces while melting and melted it in the microwave in 30 sec intervals. It has a musky smell. Did it go bad? Can I still use the soap? I’m planning to use it on my little one but not sure if it’s safe.

How much did you add? M&P soap base can only accept so much in extra additives. I personally am not a fan of adding milks or any food products to M&P because they tend to get moldy and smell bad.

I followed a recipe online. 500ml mp and 1 cup breast milk. Didn’t add essential oils for extra sensitive skin

Sorry your soap smells musky!

I have not done much with melt and pour soap, but I found this article that explains using fresh ingredients in melt and pour. You may find it helpful:

https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-...icks/purees-fresh-ingredients-melt-pour-soap/
I also found on Wholesale supplies plus, it is recommended to use between 1-3% additives to m&p base. If I am understanding correctly, the amount of milk you added would be a little less than 50%. ( I'm horrible with math and it's late though, so don't rely on my numbers)
That leaves a lot of milk to go bad in the soap.

You can use milk in Cold process soap in higher amounts, but it doesn't work as well in melt and pour.

I expect someone else more experienced than me will chime in soon. :)

Last edited:
Sorry, I would toss that soap. M&P is really not made for adding extra additives and adding milk would go bad really fast. I have seen that video and just cringed and the info. I am sorry to inform you, breast milk soap is Not magic. Yes, I made it for a niece of mine although I was not fond of making it, that is my issue, it was not different than any other milk soap in my opinion.

I followed a recipe online. 500ml mp and 1 cup breast milk. Didn’t add essential oils for extra sensitive skin

I understand that you want to do what is best for your little one, they are precious creatures👶

You added 1 cup breastmilk? That is a lot. I am afraid this soap may start go rancid quickly, if it hasn`t already. You may notice as time passes that the soap will smell a bit strange, and get an unpleasant smell that will develop. But it may also smell fine.

I have seen mommy bloggers that do this kind of thing, they are so exited and post things thay have read and without researching enough on a subject they jump in with both feet and want to share their wonderful news.
The common denominator for them, and for you, is that you all just wants whats best for the baby💓

But I suspect the end result here, even if you freeze it and take out a small piece and use that up, is that it will go bad no matter what.

The reason is that generally, when making lye based soap from scratch, the liquids that are foods (breast milk, goats milk etc) are added when the lye is still active and kicking so it can start to react with the oils and the liquids in the mix, which prevents them or slows down the natural process. Melt & Pour has already been through this process and therefore there is no lye left to react to the milk, and hence the PH is not basic and strong enough to prevent the milk from spoiling. The more milk added, the faster it will spoil, and the stronger it will smell.

However - you may be lucky and it will work. I am not claiming to have the ultimate and final answer on this matter, and I don`t want to discourage you for trying to do what is best for your baby. But I have worked with Melt and pour since 2000, now only as embeds, but I do know that no matter which brand, it has its positives and negatives, and things it can do and what it can`t do. Preserving milks are unortunately not one of them.
It has a musky smell. Did it go bad?
Breastmilk is food, even though it is a milk, it is considered a food additive. Milk, whether it is breast og cow or goat, it has fats and nutrients that will slowly degrade in an environment that is not strong enough to keep it in a status quo.

edited: quoted the wrong person.

Last edited:
I followed a recipe online. 500ml mp and 1 cup breast milk.
That's the recipe that my husband's cousin asked me to make for her (she couldn't wait 6 weeks for curing, I guess). In that recipe you'll note that it is recommended to keep in the fridge. This is because it will spoil.
I told my husband's cousin that I wouldn't make it for her, but if she wanted to do it for herself, buy the base at Hobby Lobby and only use 1TBSp of milk.

Sorry, I would toss that soap. M&P is really not made for adding extra additives and adding milk would go bad really fast.
I second that! @Msly88, please throw it out. It will grow lots of bacteria just like breast milk will if left out of the refrigerator.
Just use the plain Goatmilk MP with no additives, no fragrance nor color. That will be nice for your baby's skin.

Back