Still testing but getting alot of interest

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carvan

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to soap/lotion making. Read two books (The Soap makers companion, The everything soapmaking book). I have biotech degree in vietnam now US resident. Our product line consist of: soap, lip balm, bath bombs, lotions, scrubs (basically i want to make everything handmade). After few weeks of testing with husband and family, I decided to start posting few pics up on facebook just to let everyone know about my new project. Well the reaction was bit overwhelming as everyone started contacting me for these products. Not only in america but internationally (vietnam, china, singapore, etc).

Some are requesting certification the products are safe/tested. We use 100% natural products purchased from Bramble Berry. I wonder if Bramble Berry has certification since they look like established business and all of our products are from them. Maybe we can show customers Bramble Berry cert (if they have any). I am still testing everything and trying to ask for patience from customers as I want to be certain these products hold up over time and are safe.

Looking for some guidance as to handle this situation as we are excited yet want this to be successful operations. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Vun

There are many many posts on the forum about selling. I would read over some of those if you have not already. Selling your soap is something you need to fell comfortable about. Do you know what it will look like in a few months/a year? As others have pointed out, you should "know" your products inside and out. Perhaps just let everyone know that you really appreciate their interest and that you are still working on perfecting your products and will be in contact with them at that time. If you sell them something that goes rancid in a few months, they won't be happy and if they plan on reselling ( I assume only because they are asking for certifications) they will be very very upset if they have a product they cant sell.

As for certifications. I don't think that most places will accept certifications from other suppliers, like Bramble Berry. They want to know you made the products safely and that they will not go bad and will not injure anyone, because if they are selling your products, they are on the line as well. So while Bramble Berry did their testing, they did not test your product and they didn't have any control over what you did with their products. And they certainly wont be held responsible for any issues that could arise with your products. Of course I dont know for sure what others find acceptable, but I know if I was reselling someones product that is how I would feel about it. Perhaps find out if they have certification requirements, and that might help you get a better idea of what you need to do.

I only have experience with CP soap, so I've got no idea about some of the other products such as lotions and scrubs (most types anyways), I've kind of stayed away because of the needing a preservative issue. Good luck with everything! Its always super exciting to learn something new and to have many people be interested in trying your products!

Are you making the products yourself with ingredients from Bramble Berry, or purchasing the ready-made bases? If you are making them yourself, you would want to get them tested to ensure your preservative is holding up, but if you are using bases from Bramble Berry, I would suggest contacting them and I am sure they could provide you with documentation on their tests.

Good luck in your new endeavor!

Lisa

Hello and welcome!

Reading books and articles is very helpful, but making the products is the best way to go about it. And in the beginning you should only use your family and friends as testers. Another thing I learned was to TAKE NOTES for each recipe.

If you're interested in melt and pour soap, here's an article that outlines the basics: http://www.everythingsheacreates.com/2011/08/melt-pour-soap-basics.html

It took me quite a while to be happy with my lip balms before I sold them as there are many variables such as getting the right combination of oils, butters and wax. Will you use plant waxes or bees wax? There are many free recipes online and even places that sell kits containing all the ingredients, but your recipes will be the result of many months of your hard work.

If interested in finding a lab to test your finished products, here's a list: http://www.thesoapdish.com/testing-labs.htm

Hope this helps & Happy Soaping!
Lisa M.

whistlernatural said:
Are you making the products yourself with ingredients from Bramble Berry, or purchasing the ready-made bases? If you are making them yourself, you would want to get them tested to ensure your preservative is holding up, but if you are using bases from Bramble Berry, I would suggest contacting them and I am sure they could provide you with documentation on their tests.

Good luck in your new endeavor!

Lisa

Hello,
We are not making anything ourselves. We are just combining products from bramble Berry (oils, butters, essential oils). We did contact Bramble Berry and they are sending us C of A (certification of analysis) and EU Allergen report for their fragrance oils. They will only send you information on ingredients you purchase from them. Thanks everyone

lisamaliga said:
Hello and welcome!

Reading books and articles is very helpful, but making the products is the best way to go about it. And in the beginning you should only use your family and friends as testers. Another thing I learned was to TAKE NOTES for each recipe.

If you're interested in melt and pour soap, here's an article that outlines the basics: http://www.everythingsheacreates.com/2011/08/melt-pour-soap-basics.html

It took me quite a while to be happy with my lip balms before I sold them as there are many variables such as getting the right combination of oils, butters and wax. Will you use plant waxes or bees wax? There are many free recipes online and even places that sell kits containing all the ingredients, but your recipes will be the result of many months of your hard work.

If interested in finding a lab to test your finished products, here's a list: http://www.thesoapdish.com/testing-labs.htm

Hope this helps & Happy Soaping!
Lisa M.

we are using bees wax for lip balms (and will have allergy notice on label to not use product if allergic to bees). Everyone we have given lip balms too said it is ready for sale. The bath bombs have gone well also. The area we are going thru learning curve with is body cream. We are using avacado & Mango butter, Meadowfoam oil, green tea extract, lemon grass essential oil, dry flo and olive oil. It feels bit greesy going on so we are suggesting using it as night cream as it maybe be too oily for day use. I tried adding more avacado butter to make it less gressy but now it tends to look like whip cream. We want to move onto scrubs and body butter bar (after shower bar) but getting bogged down on body cream.

Since you have a scientific background, and even if you don't, I really, recommend Kevin Dunn's book Scientific Soapmaking. This is going to give you information and training that you won't find anywhere else.

Back