Still on the learning curve

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

penelopejane

Reaction score
Hi,

I am making a complicated recipe (typical) and I had oils separated.
I had premixed (so cool) KOH and premixed (so cool) NaOH separated.
I had the extra cool water with my additives (CA, ground coffee and salt) in a separate cup.
Without mixing the oil (it was still in a separate jug) I added the mixed KOH and NaOH to the extra water with additives and it heated up.

Is this right? Did the dual lyes heat when mixed before the oils were added? Or was there some other reaction? :-?

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, that is normal. When you add anything additional to the lye solution, even only water, it will heat up again. So nothing unusual at all.

penelopejane

Reaction score
Yes, that is normal. When you add anything additional to the lye solution, even only water, it will heat up again. So nothing unusual at all.
Thank you so much. I have been in a complete panic. I thought it was only if you added it to the oils that it heated up again.

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I learned the other day in the masterbatching thread that it will heat up. But it does not heat up enough to speed trace. It just gets warm. My solution was to mix my KOH/water to my NaOH/water, add my extra water, then allow that to cool back down. Then I added that to cool oils.

Then, unfortunately, I used an FO that accelerated like mad, so I still ended up with a "plop and pray". Slight acceleration, riiiiiiggghhhhtttt.

Still learning here, too. I just wish reviews on those websites were reliable.

Latest posts