Still learning

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramonarae

Reaction score
I'm one to ask tons of questions. New to this site so please bare with me. I used emulsifying wax instead of beeswax in a lotion bar. It didn't bond the water and oil well. Maybe I didn't heat it long enough. Can one exchange beeswax for e.wax?

What are you trying to make? An emulsified lotion bar? Many, including myself make an anhydrous lotion bar which contains no water, using beeswax, butters and soft oils. Beeswax is really not an emulsifier unless other additives are used. If you are making an emulsified lotion bar like some do for shower bars you need to heat the water, oil and E-Wax to around 170º F, some heat and hold for 20 min some do not, this will help the ewax and oils emulsify. Also you need preserve it, as with anything with water other than soap

Making lotion bars. So, I would have to use beeswax, not e.wax, to bind everything together?

I used emulsifying wax instead of beeswax in a lotion bar. It didn't bond the water and oil well. Maybe I didn't heat it long enough. Can one exchange beeswax for e.wax?
Lotion bars are usually anhydrous -- no water in the formula, so I'm curious. :confused: It would be helpful if you could supply a link to your recipe.
Making lotion bars. So, I would have to use beeswax, not e.wax, to bind everything together?
It depends. Beeswax is typically used to make anhydrous lotion bars; emulsifying wax is used to bind water & oils together in lotion and creams, but I can't quite get my head around how one would make a "bar" that way. Until we see the recipe, it's just guessing.

Last edited:

Welcome Ramonarae! :)

If there is no water in your formula, there is no need to add e-wax. If there is water in your formula, then you'll need to add e-wax (not beeswax) to bind/emulsify the oils & water together.

Beeswax can be used to add hardness your formula whether you have water in the formula or not, but it will not work to emulsify/bind your ingredients together. E-wax is what you need for that.

What percentage of e-wax did you use in your formula? It's possible that you may not have used enough.

IrishLass :)

So, I have made a solid foot scrub bar with e-wax before. It was intended to be like a solid lotion, where the e wax turned into a thick lotion as you used it in the shower or bath. But, the intention is to combine the e wax with water for a moisturizing effect (it contained a preservative since it would ultimately be in contact with water).
If you don't plan on using the bar with water, I'd use beeswax.
EDIT TO ADD- I also had to used stearic acid in the formula to create a hard bar.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. This has been so helpful. The recipe is from www. Growforagecookferment.com. But they put beeswax, I substituted ewax I'll try what cellador said. Again, thank you everyone. I'll keep you posted on my next try.

Doing well, thank you for checking in. I made lotion bars with beeswax and they turned out wonderful. With all the feedback I received from all of you, I may well be on my way. Working full time and running a new homestead doesn't give me much time to make my skincare, but I find the time. My next venture is skin care lotion for psoriasis, etc. Ill definitely keep you posted .

Latest posts

Back