Still learning

Discussion in 'Bath and Body Forum' started by Ramonarae, Feb 24, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Feb 24, 2018 #1

Ramonarae

Ramonarae

Ramonarae

I'm one to ask tons of questions. New to this site so please bare with me. I used emulsifying wax instead of beeswax in a lotion bar. It didn't bond the water and oil well. Maybe I didn't heat it long enough. Can one exchange beeswax for e.wax?

2. Feb 24, 2018 #2

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

What are you trying to make? An emulsified lotion bar? Many, including myself make an anhydrous lotion bar which contains no water, using beeswax, butters and soft oils. Beeswax is really not an emulsifier unless other additives are used. If you are making an emulsified lotion bar like some do for shower bars you need to heat the water, oil and E-Wax to around 170º F, some heat and hold for 20 min some do not, this will help the ewax and oils emulsify. Also you need preserve it, as with anything with water other than soap

3. Feb 24, 2018 #3

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin  

I agree with Carolyn, I’ve only ever made anhydrous lotion bars. No water or preservative.

4. Feb 24, 2018 #4

Ramonarae

Ramonarae

Ramonarae

Making lotion bars. So, I would have to use beeswax, not e.wax, to bind everything together?

5. Feb 24, 2018 #5

mx6inpenn

mx6inpenn

mx6inpenn

I'm not sure about the e wax, I've never used it. You can use candelilla wax in place of beeswax, at a lower %. But you don't want to use water.

6. Feb 24, 2018 #6

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Lotion bars are usually anhydrous -- no water in the formula, so I'm curious. :confused: It would be helpful if you could supply a link to your recipe.
    It depends. Beeswax is typically used to make anhydrous lotion bars; emulsifying wax is used to bind water & oils together in lotion and creams, but I can't quite get my head around how one would make a "bar" that way. Until we see the recipe, it's just guessing.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  7. Feb 24, 2018 #7

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin  

Welcome Ramonarae! :)

If there is no water in your formula, there is no need to add e-wax. If there is water in your formula, then you'll need to add e-wax (not beeswax) to bind/emulsify the oils & water together.

Beeswax can be used to add hardness your formula whether you have water in the formula or not, but it will not work to emulsify/bind your ingredients together. E-wax is what you need for that.

What percentage of e-wax did you use in your formula? It's possible that you may not have used enough.

IrishLass :)

8. Feb 24, 2018 #8

Cellador

Cellador

Cellador

So, I have made a solid foot scrub bar with e-wax before. It was intended to be like a solid lotion, where the e wax turned into a thick lotion as you used it in the shower or bath. But, the intention is to combine the e wax with water for a moisturizing effect (it contained a preservative since it would ultimately be in contact with water).
    If you don't plan on using the bar with water, I'd use beeswax.
    EDIT TO ADD- I also had to used stearic acid in the formula to create a hard bar.

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  9. Feb 26, 2018 #9

Ramonarae

Ramonarae

Ramonarae

Thanks to everyone for your replies. This has been so helpful. The recipe is from www. Growforagecookferment.com. But they put beeswax, I substituted ewax I'll try what cellador said. Again, thank you everyone. I'll keep you posted on my next try.

10. Mar 11, 2018 #10

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

It's been a while. Just wondering how you're doing? :cool:

11. Mar 13, 2018 #11

Ramonarae

Ramonarae

Ramonarae

Doing well, thank you for checking in. I made lotion bars with beeswax and they turned out wonderful. With all the feedback I received from all of you, I may well be on my way. Working full time and running a new homestead doesn't give me much time to make my skincare, but I find the time. My next venture is skin care lotion for psoriasis, etc. Ill definitely keep you posted .

dibbles, Zany_in_CO and amd like this.
  12. Mar 14, 2018 #12

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Keep up the good work! Your 80-year-old body will thank you for it. :D