Still having fun

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Ziegler

Circle Z soaps
Reaction score
For some reason I still have problems getting the swirls to turn out the way I want them to. I'm going to push on though and try a 5 color swirl. I have the right recipe and FO for it and despite having 5 colors it should be fairly easy.

Attachments

• 20200519_124508_wm_compress1.jpg
    20200519_124508_wm_compress1.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200519_123643_wm_compress54.jpg
    20200519_123643_wm_compress54.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200519_123956_wm_compress8.jpg
    20200519_123956_wm_compress8.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 26
Swirls - the bane of most soap makers existence!! LOL

Your soaps are great though.

I finally found the swirl I like by using what I call the spoon swirl method.
Basically I layer/plop all my colors in, then take a big spoon, dip it in and swirl the spoon up and down the soap loaf -
I"m not explaining it well - let me find the video that gave me the inspiration -

Start at around the 2:53 or so mark. That's the swirl I do (for the most part) to get the swirl I now do as my standard.

Not sure if it's something you are interested in, but it's another swirl technique to try if you haven't already. :)

Swirls - the bane of most soap makers existence!! LOL

Your soaps are great though.

I finally found the swirl I like by using what I call the spoon swirl method.
Basically I layer/plop all my colors in, then take a big spoon, dip it in and swirl the spoon up and down the soap loaf -
I"m not explaining it well - let me find the video that gave me the inspiration -

Start at around the 2:53 or so mark. That's the swirl I do (for the most part) to get the swirl I now do as my standard.

Not sure if it's something you are interested in, but it's another swirl technique to try if you haven't already. :)

That's great idea for me. I am going to try that tomorrow. I have a wooden spoon with slits that I widened that might be useful. Thanks

That's great idea for me. I am going to try that tomorrow. I have a wooden spoon with slits that I widened that might be useful. Thanks
I use my ss spoons.
Wood will work for a while, but eventually get brittle, and splinter, but will take a long time to do that. I want to see the results once you swirl and let me know how you like it. :)

Very nice. The top of that "jealous" bar looks interesting.
I spelled kapow! Wrong lol.
I use my ss spoons.
Wood will work for a while, but eventually get brittle, and splinter, but will take a long time to do that. I want to see the results once you swirl and let me know how you like it. :)
I will, I am letting the oils cool down right now and by tomorrow we will see.

I use my ss spoons.
I will have to wait until tomorrow to try out the spoon swirl. I blended the lye and oils at to high of temperature and it got thick to fast. I read my temperature gun wrong and I thought it said 100F but it was 120F. The scent I was using causes fast trace if I don't use it under 100F. Oh well I will try again tomorrow.

I will have to wait until tomorrow to try out the spoon swirl. I blended the lye and oils at to high of temperature and it got thick to fast. I read my temperature gun wrong and I thought it said 100F but it was 120F. The scent I was using causes fast trace if I don't use it under 100F. Oh well I will try again tomorrow.
I use my spoon like this even with very thick batter and when I have to plop it in the mold. LOL I use RT oils and lye so when it gets thick like that it's always the FO that's the culprit. The spoon swirl is not as easy with thick batter like that, but it still works.

Before long you are going to know how to do every swirl there is!! :) I love that you are having so much fun learning and working on your craft!! It's fun to watch. :)

I use my spoon like this even with very thick batter and when I have to plop it in the mold. LOL I use RT oils and lye so when it gets thick like that it's always the FO that's the culprit. The spoon swirl is not as easy with thick batter like that, but it still works.

Before long you are going to know how to do every swirl there is!! :) I love that you are having so much fun learning and working on your craft!! It's fun to watch. :)
Thanks for the compliment. I want to make a really good product and I am spending a lot of time learning about soaps and soaping. I love to learn new things and I spent a year on the forum before I made my first batch.

The hardest part is going to be actually selling the soap and not giving it away like I am prone to doing.

Some of the bars that I am going to sell will be ready in July. They will be 6 months old and are testing very well. I am going to set up at our county fair for my first sells. I know everyone there and I will be comfortable in that environment. I am working on displays and various ways to present my soaps to the public. Also figuring out how much to sell the bars for. However for now my main goal is to make a soap that does what it is supposed to do, clean.

Latest posts

Back