Sticky Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgsample

Reaction score
Looking at my HP shaving soaps from December, I find most sticky? Looking at six different batches and recipes, each one a pound or less.

My desired consistency is a Silly Putty feel that doesn't stick to your fingers.

My process has been to portion 4oz into a small mixing bowl and stir like crazy until the temperature is below the flash point of the fragrance oil. Ad the FO, stir like crazy and put into a tub. Fortunately, any under 4oz portion at the end, I would put into a tub unscented. The unscented tubs are not sticky!

Suspecting I may have put in more FO than I had calculated in Soap Calc, I played with the software and discovered that nothing changes by the amount of FO entered into it? I used about 8 grams of FO to 4oz of hot soap.

So, can FOs make your soap sticky? Or maybe the FO vendor used a strange carrier oil? (all my FOs came from the same vendor)

Below are photo examples of what I'm trying to convey. I don't have much experience with artisan soaps and don't know what I've looking for? The non-sticky one is unscented and a bit firmer and was what I was expecting. The sticky one is scented and has 8 grams of FO in 4oz of finished soap. It's much softer. Both lather fine. Which texture is desired?

unscented:
Not%20Sticky_zpsvklsnjbk.jpg

scented:
Sticky_zpspnbesrdx.jpg

You are adding a lot of FO (roughly a rate of about 1.13 oz ppo). That's actually higher than the highest amount I have ever dared to use in any of my soaps, which is 1 oz ppo tops.

For what it's worth, for my shaving soaps/croaps I use half that amount that you used in yours, i.e., for a 4-oz soap, I would use 4 to 5g of FO (at most) if the scent is light, and if the scent is strong, I would use 3.5g tops.

IrishLass :)

Back