Sticky soap when washing off . Looking for help with recipe .

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is ridiculous to suggest that low end of the recommended cleansing number is 12.
I hear your frustration! :nodding:

It's good to keep in mind that "the system" is comprised of values intended for a "best case scenario" and included as "recommendations", i.e., not written in stone, so to speak. Whatever calculator you use, it's best to consider the recommendations as guidelines for whatever formula you're trying to create.

There will always be exceptions to the recommended values. That you learn through experience. 😁

HAPPY SOAPING! :computerbath:

Your recipe has a fairly high percentage of palmitic versus stearic, which some think makes a bar a bit waxy feeling. I have testers that love that profile, but most seem to prefer a bar that has a better balance between the two. Is the shea unrefined? If so, the unsaponifiable fraction in the shea, which is ignored by the calculators, could be contributing to the sticky feeling. When I had sticky soaps in the past, a long cure (3 months or more) made a big difference in hand feel and overall performance.
How would I change that ?

Whats everyone thoughts on

30 % olive oil
30% coconut oil
30 % palm oil
10 % shea butter

5 percent super fat

If you super fat your soap . Is it less drying ?
Try it.
I use <2% superfat and 3.5% salt of the recipe water because that is the equivalent of sea water. I use 5% castor oil in all my soaps because it makes it bubbly.

No one is trying to hide a recipe from you but your skin will be different to mine so your “best” soap will be vastly different to my “best” soap.

Try it.
I use <2% superfat and 3.5% salt of the recipe water because that is the equivalent of sea water. I use 5% castor oil in all my soaps because it makes it bubbly.

No one is trying to hide a recipe from you but your skin will be different to mine so your “best” soap will be vastly different to my “best” soap.
Okay sounds good . If a soap is drying . Do you higher your super fat . If you don’t mind me asking . Why do you use 2 % in all your soaps ?

Okay sounds good . If a soap is drying . Do you higher your super fat . If you don’t mind me asking . Why do you use 2 % in all your soaps ?
I use a lot less than 2% superfat in all my soaps to avoid slime and to save my bathroom pipes. I don’t make soaps that dry my skin. I do make 50% salt soaps but don’t use more than 10% coconut in any soap as I find it drying on the skin and coconut just causes the soap to dissolve quickly - much quicker than other ingredients.

Latest posts

Back