Sticky feeling after washing hands

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They should not. Mica is a mineral very similar to talc (talcum powder) but just slightly harder. However it is ground into a powder with the same micron size as talc. Or slightly larger for a glitter. I have only heard of it irritating people who have hyper sensitive skin conditions. Also keep in mind that it will only be in contact with your skin for a very short time before it is washed away. You are more likely to have problems with a oil that you use before the mica would bother you. In nature it can actually rot and become a goopy mess.
I'm a bit weird but I rather take precautions. I've been good with scents as far as my skin goes but I've used mostly clays, activated charcoal, and coffee as colorants with no irritation either. Micas is the start of a whole new ball game for me.

I will definitely watch some videos lol. It seems like a lot but I am sure it is not that complicated. Thanks again

I'm a bit weird but I rather take precautions. I've been good with scents as far as my skin goes but I've used mostly clays, activated charcoal, and coffee as colorants with no irritation either. Micas is the start of a whole new ball game for me.
I understand but if you can tolerate charcoal then mica won't be a problem because charcoal is way harder than mica. Even the finest ground coffee will be 5X harder than mica.

Hello everybody,

Ok I know that my soap needs to sit for a month or so but after about 10 days I decided to sample a piece. I kind of just wanted to experiment a bit. So I washed my hands with a piece of the soap I made and it lathered up really well and felt very moisturizing while rinsing. Right after I dried my hands off with a towel, my skin started to feel almost sticky. Then about a minute later the stickiness feeling disappeared and my hands went back to normal. No burn or sting in fact they feel great. So what could be causing this stickiness? Is this normal? Any ideas? Thanks everyone

When I first start using real soap...it felt weird, but it didn’t take long to get used to it and soon I was taking soap to work because my hands would be horribly dry after using commercial soap.

Thanks everyone for the videos and info. Below is how the cranberry woods turned out with the wrong coloring lol.

Attachments

• 20200513_105516.jpg
    20200513_105516.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 8
So I have finally gotten back into making some more soap. Not bad I suppose. Made mac apple but I didn't have the right mica coloring.
Yes, the colour of micas change in soap. So annoying. Many testers are required if you decide to continue to use them unless the website gives you a sample picture in soap.

Even when they give you sample pictures of the mica in the soap, you can still get different reactions because of your personal recipe. However it usually stays true to the sample picture.

Latest posts

Back