Stickblending to Emulsion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought I would re-do the video about SB'ing to emulsion because it was embedded in a video about something else, but I think recognizing emulsion and when to stop so you can work more with your batter is really helpful. Many people mention their batter getting too thick for what they are attempting so I was hoping this might help people on their way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for posting this newbie! Every time I go to look for it, it takes me forever to find it or I just give up. It will be very helpful for many who find it hard to decide when to stop using the SB. Great work newbie! :thumbup:

This is a great video. As someone who has spent much time with my nose practically touching soap batter while I carefully examine it for emulsification (and then spend several moments filled with self-doubt), your demonstration has been both illuminating and helpful. Thank you so much for sharing!

It took me years to be confident enough that my batter had reached emulsion. I would always go way past it...just to be sure. A video like this sure would have helped! Nice job. :clap:

A couple of months ago, it occurred to me that I just don't have sufficient lighting over my worktable to see this distinction of 'just to emulsion'. As it happens my worktable where I soap is probably the least well lit part of my lit part of my kitchen.

In re-watching this part of that video, I see it is time to re-visit the idea and the lighting issue. When I return home and next time I soap at home, I plan to see what I can conveniently do to remedy that situation. It has never been an issue until I saw that I couldn't see the shadows mentioned in another part of the other video.

Newbie, thank you for separating this section out and posting it as reference.

My pleasure. I made it as part of my next challenge but thought it would be helpful as a separate video.

Temperature is a definite contributor to trace although I don't think it would prevent you from finding the point of emulsion; emulsion will just happen much sooner. I know many people don't use thermometers but go by hand feel of the oils and lye, usually just barely warm to the touch, or they will soap room temp if they can with their oils. The recipe in this video is tallow/OO/CO/castor but it can get quite cool before becoming cloudy and the lower temps give more working time.

Fragrance is another major contributor, of course.

A couple of months ago, it occurred to me that I just don't have sufficient lighting over my worktable to see this distinction of 'just to emulsion'. As it happens my worktable where I soap is probably the least well lit part of my lit part of my kitchen.

In re-watching this part of that video, I see it is time to re-visit the idea and the lighting issue. When I return home and next time I soap at home, I plan to see what I can conveniently do to remedy that situation. It has never been an issue until I saw that I couldn't see the shadows mentioned in another part of the other video.

Newbie, thank you for separating this section out and posting it as reference.

Earlene, I had the same problem. I put an old lamp I was going to donate on my work table and that solved the problem.

Lighting was better as I was outside and I was focused on just this. I was happy it showed up because I couldn't see a thing on the little screen.

That's a nice video showing the stage of emulsification, but when someone is using milk or clay/flour in the oils prior inserting lye, then these marks cannot be easily seen.

That's a nice video showing the stage of emulsification, but when someone is using milk or clay/flour in the oils prior inserting lye, then these marks cannot be easily seen.
I use a lot of addictives and still go only through emulsion, You will see that butter is one color does not have lines of oil anymore. I am doing it from the moment I had seen that video with every soap

Perfect thank you!

I wondered about the line between thin enough to mix and use with colours and being mixed enough.....tha'ts very clear thank you

Nice video for beginners. For those with lighting issues I use a clamp light I put anywhere so when I am soaping I put it above my mixing bowl giving me the perfect light to see detail. This is in addition to my regular overhead ceiling light. I just found that ceiling light is too far away from the countertop/sink area that I soap at. So I tried the clamp light and voile!!

Bump.gif
Bumping this thread for newbies - note how little time it takes to get to emulsion.

Latest posts

Back