Stick blending technique?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosyrobyn

Reaction score
This seems like it should be so simple but I had a fine splatter that went up onto my face, including the goggles. :sad: Nothing too serious, just a couple of drops but enough to scare me. I stopped what I was doing and rinsed, rinsed, rinsed and then washed my face.

Is it because I'm doing only 1lb? Am I stick blending wrong? I couldn't tell you exactly what I was doing at the time but I sure don't want it to happen again!http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Try using a container that will let you fully submerge the bell of the stickblender even with that smaller batch. That's the key to avoiding splashes.

Thanks! I think I'm using too big a bowl. I weighed out just water for the full batch size and the bell is covered but not by much. When I turn the blender on it pushes the water up the sides and unless the SB is firmly on the bottom it looks like it would splash. Now I've got to find a new bowl...

I agree with the above. Would just like to add that I also keep the bell mouth of the stick blender pointed away from me so in the event of a splatter only the wall would get hit.

Good idea! I'll give it a try tomorrow. I've stolen a bowl from the kitchen (shhh!) to try out and I'll try the 'point it away from me' method.

I like to use a 32oz measuring cup. It is a little more narrow than my crockpot so I've had less splatter, especially when I'm dumb enough to SB using the 2nd button.

A tall pitcher rather than a bowl helps me when I'm doing smaller batches like that. I've also dumped the entire bowl of batter over because I stood the stick blender up in it...and the stick blender fell. It only took that one time to learn to remove the blender from the motor. ALWAYS! That mistake was the real reason I started using the pitcher for small batches rather than the bowl. The pitcher would have given me more time to save the batter (and the clean up!).

If you try using a pitcher - be aware that it may make the problem worse. It did for me because my sb is extra powerful and the batter went flying! (more power is not always better) However there are lots of people here who use pitchers with no problem.

Thanks everyone! I'll up my recipe to 1.3lbs oil (any more and it won't fit my 12-bar mold) and try out a couple of different containers - the smaller bowl from the kitchen, a Home Depot small paint bucket (1 gallon I think), and a pitcher. If those don't work, I'll try to find the 32oz measuring cup.

I just bought the Rona version of this (couldn't find it at Home Depot, must be an American thing). Tried it out with a 1lb batch today and it worked great.

If I had seen this last week, I could have had a few of these in my collection along with the mirror I ordered for the bathroom.:(

I have found similar containers at Wal Mart and Meijer (a regional Wally World type store) if you do not have a local Home Depot/Lowes. You can also find them a local Ace stores. I am sure you have something nearby that will have them.

I have found similar containers at Wal Mart and Meijer (a regional Wally World type store) if you do not have a local Home Depot/Lowes. You can also find them a local Ace stores. I am sure you have something nearby that will have them.

I actually don't live near a Walmart. Lowes and Home Depot are doable. I don't know if I've ever seen a Meijer anywhere on the East Coast.

Back