Stick blenders...

Discussion in 'Shopping Recommendations' started by Cindy B, Mar 24, 2020 at 7:14 AM.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Mar 24, 2020 at 7:14 AM #1

Cindy B

Cindy B

Cindy B

Which stick blender do you prefer? I have a hamilton beach from Walmart, and it's fine, but I don't think its going to hold up.

2. Mar 24, 2020 at 10:41 AM #2

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

I have a Cuisinart with detachable bell and have been using it for years. I also have a Hamilton beach I got at Salvation Army as a back up but have never had to use it. Mine is 7-8 year old now.

3. Mar 24, 2020 at 12:18 PM #3

Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member

I started with the same one you have and it was as you said ok...but I thought it was kind of heavy and I didn’t like the suction it created as well as the bell design that trapped air. I got a Cuisinart from BBB with a coupon and couldn’t be happier. Lighter, no suction problems, quieter, longer shaft. doesn’t trap air like the HB. There are lots of discussions about SB. Do a search. Also check out the Shopping Recommendations forum at the very bottom of the list of forums here.

4. Mar 24, 2020 at 5:27 PM #4

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin

I have 3, pictured below.

Left to right: Hamilton Beach (bought in 2005/6 from Walmart), Cuisinart and Kitchenaid: IMG_4565StickblenderBellComparison640.JPG

The one I actually use for soaping (by choice) is the cheaper looking Hamilton Beach. It's the only one of the 3 that does not create or trap air in my soap batter, nor does it need to be burped. I have one more of the same exact vintage as a backup if it should ever fail, but I'm still on the first one. It's still going strong after 14-15 years of use, even though it looks like it wouldn't last a week compared to the other 2. lol Pretty good investment for $19.00!

If I were to ever be in need another SB for soaping, I would look for one with the same kind of shallow bell design.

IrishLass :)

Arimara and Jersey Girl like this.
  5. Mar 24, 2020 at 6:43 PM #5

Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member

This is the current HB bell design. Too bad they redesigned it. It’s the only one I have seen that doesn’t have some kind of scalloping at the bottom of the bell. I’ve been meaning to drill a couple holes in the top but haven’t done it yet. 24FB5920-B0BB-40A9-B2B1-D2A9DC711585.jpeg C844567A-3782-4A84-B00F-922AA495F544.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020 at 6:49 PM
    Arimara likes this.
  6. Mar 24, 2020 at 8:13 PM #6

Hinata

Hinata

Hinata

I have a kitchenaid blender that comes with different heads and you can change the intensity. I use different heads interchangeably — depending and what’s clean and available! I never really had issues with air bubbles that I know of. I accidentally put salt to the oil directly instead of after reaching trace like I usually do so I had to stick blend a thick batter with 80% salt for a long time to finally reach trace. I think the salt got in the way somehow and slowed the process down. The kitchenaid handled it well thankfully.

Draft saved Draft deleted