Stick blenders

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyber

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find a cordless stick blender?

Could I use a milk frother in place of an actual stick blender?

Im trying to find a way to do this without readily available electricity.

The only cordless handblender I see is this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X3N9L8S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have no idea how it works other than it's pretty expensive and only has a twenty minute charge. I don't think a milk frother would work - I suspect they wouldn't be powerful enough. Irishlass has an excellent suggestion with a cordless blender!

I have seen folks using old-fashioned hand blenders which would probably work if you had the arm power and just needed to get batter to emulsion.

Last edited by a moderator:
IrishLass, that is a great Idea!

Snappyllama, I look at it but it was way too expensive. I do have a 1950's crank hand blender, I may give it a shot. I spent 4 hours hand stirring the last batch before I gave up so as long as it is less than 4 hours Im good. lol

How big are your batches? I ask because I know of some folks who use a cordless drill with a stainless paint mixing attachment to sub as stickblender for their larger sized batches: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/stick-blender-recs-anyone-use-a-drill.23743/

IrishLass :)

Right now I am doing small batches of 141.75g of rendered fat. That way I can render 1lb of raccoon fat at a time and get 2 batches from it while I figure it out and get it working.

Cyber, I acquired a milkshake blender at a resale store once. It's interesting, but blends and spins fast.

Perhaps an electric egg beater, set on slow?

Tell me more about rendering fat. I've been restrained to use only veg. oils, since that's been the last two team's policies.

I would suggest a drill with a paint mixer, but with a couple of caveats:

1. Make sure you get a high-RPM drill. My $20 cordless drill was way too slow. The upgrade is a corded drill that has about 100-RPM (I think? I’d have to look it up again) and this one seems much better.

2. You will need a lid on whatever you are mixing. Stick blenders direct the spin downwards. Paint mixer attachments create a vortex that climbs up the container walls. My bucket was only half full but I kept having to stop because the soap batter threatened to spill over the sides. I think that I will try drilling a hole in the bucket lid and see if that will help keep it inside.

Tell me more about rendering fat. I've been restrained to use only veg. oils, since that's been the last two team's policies.

What would you like to know about rendering fat?

The basic process is to cut the fat into 1/4" pieces. Put just enough in the bottom of a pot to cover it one layer thick. Put it on a medium/low heat and stir it. You want to keep the heat low so that the grease never hits the smoke point. If it smokes you are burning the fats and that never turns out good. As it cooks it releases the grease/lard into the pot. During the process the pieces of fat will get smaller and there will be more grease in the pot, you add a little more fat as the process continues. The bits that dont render down get fried and are called cracklins. If you are doing this with pig fat it makes lard and the cracklins are good to eat. However doing it with raccoon fat the cracklins don't really taste good but the dogs go nuts for them. lol

Once I get the whole lb of fat rendered, I run it through a strainer to get the big pieces of cracklins then through a coffee filter or 4-8 layers of cheesecloth to filter out any little bits. 1lb of raccoon fat produces about 1.25 quarts of grease.

If you have any questions let me know, I do everything from getting the fat off the animal/hide all the way through rendering it.

1. Make sure you get a high-RPM drill. My $20 cordless drill was way too slow. The upgrade is a corded drill that has about 100-RPM (I think? I’d have to look it up again) and this one seems much better.

Hmmm, I have no idea what the RPM's are on my cordless drills. Ill have to check that.

Thank you.

Does anyone know where I can find a cordless stick blender?

Could I use a milk frother in place of an actual stick blender?

Im trying to find a way to do this without readily available electricity.
You would still need electricity to charge the cordless blender. I think a milk frother would be too small and not powerful enough, especially with any batch that is bigger than 8oz (and that's a tiny batch) At least I've never seen a milk frother that was big enough for anything significant. I use my frother to mix my mica's and make clay slurry's.

I was only able to find one on Amazon, and it's kind of pricey, but comes with an electric knife as well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X3N9L8S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

According to Consumer Research, cordless stick blenders are not very efficient, but they do exist. Cuisinart makes one (very expensive): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X3N9L8S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The same product is available at Bed Bath & Beyond for $70 MORE, so shop around if you decide to go that route.

Some electric drills, such as my Makita, come with a cordless option and you can buy attachments that can be used in place of a stick blender. You still have to charge the re-chargeable batteries using either an electrical outlet or if you have access to a solar battery charging unit that could work, too. It is an option to consider if readily available electricity is an issue.

Here is a video showing using a drill to mix soap using a paint mixing attachment:

I have not seen a battery powered stick blender, and especially not one that takes toss-away batteries, so I don't think those exist.

I think this thread is part of this one, and it somehow got split? There is some good advice on this thread too -
Maybe an admin/mod can merge these two?

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/stick-blenders.69106/

I think you are right, jcandeattic. These threads need to be merged. I just went and read the other one, and it looks like they got disjoined somehow.

I didn't know this thread existed, we were talking about drill-blender options on this thread (comment 27)

If you just want to mix in a small beaker, you can cut a steel skewer in half and drill-mix with the handle-loop end.

I know a guy who made a foot operated lathe out of bungee cords, string and wood. Depending on your electricity situation, you could make a soap stirrer from the same technology. I can help design it, just ask.

You might have good luck in your local hardware shop, but ....
I saw a few small paint mixers on ebay, postage to Ireland is cruel as usual, but to the US should be under $5. I didn't list any ones from England as the postage is crazy there aswel.
There are a few polypropylene, nylon, painted steel and other finish, they are for paint and cement so they're not too specific about materials. (1' = 300mm)
This one is $6.36 and the postage is free to the US
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Illinois-Industrial-Tool-Mini-Paint-Mixer/172970759146
full

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back