stick blenders

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilo

Reaction score
Hello All!!!

I have a question about stick blenders.
In the past I have hand blended (stirred) my soap mixtures. I have just recently started using a stick blender and the time it takes to get to trace is so minimal now (about a minute) that I just want to check that my timing is OK.
After approximately a minute using the stick blender, the mixture appears to trace wonderfully and gets quite thick at which point I pour it into my molds.
I havn't used any of it yet, as the two last batches are still curing. They look fantastic, just wanted to double check the mix time with all the "experts"!!!
Thanks!!
Lilo

Yea, a SB really is required equipment in the soapiers arsenal. Well, not really "required" but sure won't make soap without one! I have 3. One is a Wal-Mart cheapo I got on clearance for $10. It is all stainless steel. The second is a Braun. The third and best is my 2 speed Kitchen Aide. I love that baby! 8)
I SB until just emulsified, then use it as a stir spatula, pulsing it once in a while. Love them all as children!

Paul....:)

edco76 said:
Ain't it great! The first time I used a stick mixer it traced so fast I panicked and forgot my FO. :oops:

Ed, you ought to try SB a batch of salt bars.... :shock: Blend enough JUST to mix ingredients, then add the salt and hand stir from that point.

Ah, yes, a good stick blender is a wise investment. It's either a stick blender or carpel tunnel surgery! :lol: :lol:

Thanks so much. You've eased my mind. I can now wrap all my Christmas gifts with confidence!

I've been reading your posts about salt soap.....anyone care to share and elaborate. My daughter has psoriasis. Does it help with this??? SOunds intriguing!

Lilo said:
Thanks so much. You've eased my mind. I can now wrap all my Christmas gifts with confidence!

I've been reading your posts about salt soap.....anyone care to share and elaborate. My daughter has psoriasis. Does it help with this??? SOunds intriguing!

It cured mine! 8) I was buying $150.00 tube of ointment for mine. It helped, but never went away totally. I started using my salt bars, bang, no more skin problems on my palms! Salt is a natural antibacterial agent, and kills bacteria. I'd say try it and go from there.

Lilo said:
Does anyone have a recipe that they might care to share!!??

Sure thing. All ingrediants listed in percentages of the total.

Coconut Oil.........75%
Shea Butter.........20%
Castor Oil............ 5%

Do not take any water discount. Use water as 28 to 30% of the oils weight. I take a 6% super fat lye discount. Sea salt as 80% of your total oils weight. Bring all oils and lye solution to just mixed (emulsified) and add salt. Stir by hand only from this point as it is going to move fast on you now. Add any colours for swirl and FO's or EO's at 1 ounce PPO for FO's and .75 ounce for EO's. You need to cut within an 1-1/2 to 2 hours after pouring as it will heat up and get hard fast. That is about it as the basic recipe goes.

Hope you enjoy!

Paul....:) :wink:

I prefer to mostly hand stir most of my soap batches. I use my sb normally to just make sure I get my mixture completely blended in or with those recipes that take longer to reach trace. My sb is a Moulinex that I have had for about 20 years. It has outlived any other of my soaping tools and just keeps going.

I had a little Braun stick blender but it was all plastic. Lasted up until this last month and I had to go buy another. This one is all stainless except for the handle so I'm hoping it last a long, long time.

I lucked out and bought a (second) stick blender at a yard sale for $3!! It has bad berrings or something so my DH says, when it stops working I just take the tip of my spatula and move the blade a little and it works again! Has two speeds too!! Best yard sale find last year!

Back