Stick blender ROCKS!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreabadgley

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I finally got a stick blender after reading how great they are on here. It only took me about a year. But since I succeeded at rebatching, I figured what the heck! I've branched out without catastrophe. I'm gonna try a stick blender. I bought one this week, and it's been sitting on my counter staring at me for the past four days. I was restless all morning, wondering, "Do I soap today? Do I dare try this new (to me) technology?" I got tired of being restless, and I knew it wasn't going to go away until I just did it, so I decided to just do it.

Well, I was nervous all morning about it. I tried it in the oils before I added the lye, and I'm so glad I did! I splashed myself and was totally freaked out by how intense the blender was. It was only on for about 5 seconds and the oil was like a roiling whirlpool. I was afraid the stick blender would leave tiny air bubbles in the final bars, so I worried about that for a while while I waited for the oil and lye temps to come down.

When I finally added the lye, completely decked out in safety goggles, rubber apron, and elbow length rubber gloves, I managed to stick blend for about 10 seconds without splashing. When I let it rest, it looked like it had already come to a light trace. I refused to believe it, let it sit for about 30 seconds, then zitzed it again with the stick blender. Yep. It was already at trace. In less than 2 minutes! Is that going to be a problem? I'm totally flabbergasted. This exact same recipe took me 45 minutes in my KitchenAid mixer last time I made it.

Anyway, I added my EO's, stirred them in by hand, and barely got to the mold in time to pour. I hope this turns out, cause I'm totally hooked on the stick blender! I just can't believe it! It's a Hamilton Beach, btw, with Hi and Lo speeds. I used the Lo speed. If I can figure out how to post pics on here, I'll do that after I unmold and cut tomorrow.

I think ive got the same one!..I love my SB...making life easier :)

sure leaves you with less sore arms after a soaping sesion :)

I can't imagine NOT having a stick blender... I love it! No way would i have the patience to stir...and stir...and stir...and stir...and stir... :D

Hey...I've got a Hamilton Beach stickblender, too! :)

I just don't know what I'd do without it, especially when adding my ultramarine and oxide colorants. Without it, I get colored speckles instead of a smooth, uniform color.

After a handful of batches with the stickblender, you'll soon develop a 'feel' for how much stickblending is too much at a time, and be able to adjust accordingly.

IrishLass :)

I find that if there are bubbles in my mix after blending, usually a few manual stirs will break them up.

I've used a SB since my very first batch of soap...love love love it! I don't think I'd have the patience (or arm strength) to soap without it.

Latest posts

Back