Stick blend MP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ljwellness

Reaction score
I was attempting to do a couple test bars to see if an additive would work. I am building my confidence up to CP, lol

The base that I used was horrible! But I powered through and tried to make it work.

Top bar:
8oz Shae butter MP
Rosemary Oil EO 1tsp
Tea Tree Oil EO 1/2 tsp
Infused Jojoba oil w/Agrimony 1tsp
Agrimony powder 1/2 tsp

*It started to burn, but there was still chunks so I used the stick blender.

Bottom bar :
8oz Shae butter MP
Rosemary Oil EO 1tsp
Tea Tree Oil EO1/2 tsp
Jasmine FO 1/4tsp
Agrimony powder 1/4 tsp

*Note the white spots(unrelated but burned mp)

Q: is the stick blender and over cooked base the reason a bar might be rubbery and soft?

Attachments

• 20211128_052036.jpg
    20211128_052036.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Q: is the stick blender and over cooked base the reason a bar might be rubbery and soft?
That might well be the case. With the SB, you are likely incorporating a lot of (very small) air bubbles, that might well make the soap look like a sponge under a microscope. Molten M&P is very viscous, and it's soap, so it'll trap air well.
It might also be that you are exceeding the limit of how much oily stuff the M&P base can “absorb” and still harden up properly. Sellers and manufacturers usually give indications/recommendations in the data sheet.

How are you heating the M&P base? Aren't you using a microwave? I have hardly any experience with oily additives (jojoba, EOs/FOs) in M&P, but gentle but thorough stirring with a spoon/spatula should suffice, you definitely shouldn't be as desperate as using a stick blender for that.

Once you'll get your hands dirty with CP (only metaphorically, not IRL, lol), I guess you will be delighted how easy it is to use CP in contrast to M&P. Additives/EOs/FOs can be finicky (accelerating trace, ricing, etc.), but there are plenty of recommendations out there what is troublesome and what is easy to do.

What is “Agronomy powder”?

Thank you for your response!
I am using the double broiler method. Everything I have read said I can put 1 tsbp for each lb, is that incorrect?

Agrimony(of course I spelled it wrong) powder is most similar to curry powder with out the color, great for inflammation.

Double boiler/water bath is okay too, it just takes some more time. When it melts too slowly, don't crank up the heat, but give it more time. Stir occasionally but gently (air bubbles!). Make sure to limit evaporation (tight lid!) – when the molten M&P loses too much water, it becomes sticky, turbid, and can burn easier.
Don't add your additives until the base is fully molten.

Double boiler/water bath is okay too, it just takes some more time. When it melts too slowly, don't crank up the heat, but give it more time. Stir occasionally but gently (air bubbles!). Make sure to limit evaporation (tight lid!) – when the molten M&P loses too much water, it becomes sticky, turbid, and can burn easier.
Don't add your additives until the base is fully molten.
That's were I messed up no patience 🙃

Agrimony(of course I spelled it wrong) powder is most similar to curry powder with out the color, great for inflammation.

I sincerely hope that you aren't promoting that use in your soap. 1) You would need to have your soap tested and by licensed by the FDA under 'drug use'. This is not a cheap venture. 2) Soap is a wash on/rinse off product...it's on your skin for maybe five to ten minutes. Agrimony will only help inflammation if it is applied directly to the skin and left there. 3) Even if you were licensed by the FDA and your soap approved for sale, you would need to put a warning that women who are pregnant or breast feeding should not use it, that diabetics should not use it.

I sincerely hope that you aren't promoting that use in your soap. 1) You would need to have your soap tested and by licensed by the FDA under 'drug use'. This is not a cheap venture. 2) Soap is a wash on/rinse off product...it's on your skin for maybe five to ten minutes. Agrimony will only help inflammation if it is applied directly to the skin and left there. 3) Even if you were licensed by the FDA and your soap approved for sale, you would need to put a warning that women who are pregnant or breast feeding should not use it, that diabetics should not use it.
Thank you for your response, this was a test batch, not forsale. I have not gone public with this product, and no plans to until I perfect it.
But being in Canada we have to fully disclose all ingredients and warning regarding any and all products.

I was attempting to do a couple test bars to see if an additive would work. I am building my confidence up to CP, lol

The base that I used was horrible! But I powered through and tried to make it work.

Top bar:
8oz Shae butter MP
Rosemary Oil EO 1tsp
Tea Tree Oil EO 1/2 tsp
Infused Jojoba oil w/Agrimony 1tsp
Agrimony powder 1/2 tsp

*It started to burn, but there was still chunks so I used the stick blender.

Bottom bar :
8oz Shae butter MP
Rosemary Oil EO 1tsp
Tea Tree Oil EO1/2 tsp
Jasmine FO 1/4tsp
Agrimony powder 1/4 tsp

*Note the white spots(unrelated but burned mp)

I have always used a whisk with MP. Follow @ResolvableOwl 's suggestions on heat and only use a manual whisk. See how it turns out. It could be the base, but more likely the overheating and over-processing. If possible, make the smallest batch that you feel comfortable with, like one 4 oz or smaller bar at a time until you're happy with your soap when testing, that way you won't waste ingredients.
I also would take note of @TheGecko 's comments - not much benefit is derived from soap but cleansing and possibly some lasting scent, as it is a wash-off product. The goal is to have a product that cleanses, feels good, doesn't strip the skin of oils, and doesn't irritate the skin. Salves, balms, and lotions are stay on products where special additives may be beneficial.

Happy Soaping! It is a fun journey.

Thank you for your response. I will try your suggestion about the whisk.

In regards to the Agrimony, I understand what you are saying and appreciate the feedback.

Thank you for your response!
I am using the double broiler method. Everything I have read said I can put 1 tsbp for each lb, is that incorrect?

Everything I read says you can only add 1 TEASPOON per pound of MP, not 1 tablespoon. That is probably why you feel the soap is rubbery. Okay, I just looked this up, I have an article called “A Guide To Melt and Pour Soap”. You can add up to 1 tablespoon per pound of soap, but that includes everything including fragrance. And keep in mind that adding oils will subtract lather. I will try to attach the article I have. But it’s a Facebook article so it may not be possible.

Everything I read says you can only add 1 TEASPOON per pound of MP, not 1 tablespoon. That is probably why you feel the soap is rubbery. Okay, I just looked this up, I have an article called “A Guide To Melt and Pour Soap”. You can add up to 1 tablespoon per pound of soap, but that includes everything including fragrance. And keep in mind that adding oils will subtract lather. I will try to attach the article I have. But it’s a Facebook article so it may not be possible.
https://www.yourbeautyblog.com/2013/03/your-guide-to-melt-and-pour-additives.html

Latest posts

Back