Stevia in Lip Balms

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a bunch of stevia leaf. Do you think that if I made an oil infusion with it, that it would be sweet enough to sweeten lip balms? I am trying to avoid anything artificial, including flavor/fragrance oils.

The sweet part of stevia is water soluble, so I'm not sure you're going to get much sweetness by doing an oil infusion. But I haven't tried it personally, just passing on what I've heard others share.

Stevia in Lip Balm? See Post 9 in particular.

Texas Naturals Lip Balm Base? See Post 8 in particular.

I just fell down the rabbit hole for a few minutes looking into the use of water-based stevia extract in lip balms. (Honey would be comparable.) Apparently the company EOS got in trouble several years ago with customers finding the company's balm was growing mold. The balm ingredients did and still do list stevia extract -- Eos Lip Balm Mold Problem

Last edited:
I've only had success in "extracting" the sweetness of fresh stevia leaves in water or water/alcohol, which now makes sense given what DeeAnna has said. The only success I've had with imparting stevia sweetness into a lip balm was using a small amount of liquid stevia extract. I use the one from Trader Joe's, which has the same ingredients as this one, but this one is not organic:
https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-liquid-stevia-extract-4-fl-oz-118-ml

Interesting stuff. We used to grow stevia, and I would dry the leaves, grind them to powder in the (former) coffee grinder, and add them to smoothies and baked goods. It never had the bitter aftertaste of commercially-produced stevia. I didn't know that it was only water/alcohol soluble since I liked using the powder. But I can see how that wouldn't work so well for lip balms.

Thanks for all the information. I'm going to have to do some research. I had no idea it was only water/alcohol soluble.

If I get or make an extract, doesn't that contain alcohol (not that I am against alcohol LOL). i guess it would be such a small amount in the balms that it wouldn't matter.

I thought about honey, but I don't want it separating, although I have seen a gazillion recipes that use honey with no mention of it settling to the bottom...until you read the reviews or comments.

Back