Stevia as sub for sugar in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anstarx

Reaction score
I used to use cane syrup both for my soap (to boost lather) and in kitchen. Recently I've been using stevia and other sugar substitute (such as erythritol) in cooking and enjoyed them, so I wonder if these sugar substitutes can also boost lather in soap?. I recally seeing people using sorbital in place of sugar and saying it won't cause overheat like sugar would, but haven't seen anything using stevia and the likes. I would like to just have one type of sweetner in the house.

Ooh, I'm interested. I haven't tried it, and will be interested to hear if anyone else has. If not, I hope you try it out in one of your videos, @Anstarx. I always look forward to watching those when you post a new one.

Ooh, I'm interested. I haven't tried it, and will be interested to hear if anyone else has. If not, I hope you try it out in one of your videos, @Anstarx. I always look forward to watching those when you post a new one.
If no one had I think I will! Could be just a video of me testing different sweetners (cane sugar, stevia, honey, syrup/dissolve in lye, etc.)

865 Organic Stevia Extract Powder
https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/pr...arket-organic-powder-stevia-1-each-b074h5z5qz
Stevia is an herb that is incredibly sweet but I doubt it would add bubbles to soap. It's the perfect sweetener for lip balms. I use one scoop (a smidgen) more or less per 50-100 Lip Lubes. It sweetens without the aftertaste found in "fake" sweeteners such as aspartame and similar.

Sugar contains sucrose; stevia does not. If testing sugars in soap, I would look for Types of Sugar most likely to do the job.

Last edited:
I can’t recall anyone experimenting with erythritol or stevia, but there are useful discussions about the sugar alcohols and their properties that may influence behavior in soap in these two threads if you’re interested:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...bbles-not-tooth-soapmaking.81565/#post-937765
Cocoa vs Shea butter (see posts 13-17)

Erythritol has a much lower solubility compared with table sugar and sorbitol which is why I decided not to try it. I use MB lye (50%) and add sugar or sorbitol to the split water, but have to heat the water a bit to get them to dissolve.

Back