Steric Acid?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saipan

Reaction score
Howdy.

So found a shaving soap recipe that contains 45% Steric Acid... https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/tutorial-shaving-soap-recipe/

I've always read the you should only use 5% Steric Acid. So, is this recipe bad?

As a side note, I upped the amount of Steric I put into my transparent HP soap to 25%, and it created the most transparent bars I've ever made. 100% transparent. Normally my transparent soap is really only translucent.

Will someone please tell me it's ok.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/my-first-shaving-soap-is-a-success.34264/

That thread^^

It is ok to more steric acid. The problem with steric acid is that it causes soap to trace extremely fast, you can counter this with hot process. I don’t make shaving soap but the above thread is the forum’s go to reference to start reading. I think the recipe uses 50% steric and the full thread discusses the method options for the best shave soap. (I’ve skimmed through it once but don’t have much interest).

"...you should only use 5% Steric Acid. So, is this recipe bad?..."

As with so many things, it's all about context. For bath soap, 5% max is a good idea. If you want to make a good shave soap, the rules change.

Read BattleGnome's thread and you'll learn the reasons why a truly decent shave soap isn't merely a glorified bath soap. ;)

Oi, that thread has 54 pages...

I've read about 5. I am not finding anything bad about Steric Acid, it is used to harden bars. So I'm thinking for my Transparent soap, I may keep it higher than 5%.

5% Steric Acid Bar
30698379_10156152704162591_8125367903944966144_n.jpg

25% Steric Acid Bar
30698240_10156152705157591_8480507380872773632_n.jpg

Side by Side
30707276_10156152614427591_6200901137164402688_n.jpg

WOW that is amazing! NEVER would have thought that adding so much stearic acid would make soaps so clear! Was the stearic added to a melt and pour base or your own creation?

The difference is remarkable! How old are the bars in your pics? Are they the same age?

By the way, I LOVE that paw-print mold!

But this question specifically related to steric acid in regards to a shaving soap. The first recipe has steric acid in that thread, and it goes on to look at various levels of it in context of shaving soap.

It's exactly what you are after

WOW that is amazing! NEVER would have thought that adding so much stearic acid would make soaps so clear! Was the stearic added to a melt and pour base or your own creation?

This is my own recipe.

The difference is remarkable! How old are the bars in your pics? Are they the same age?

By the way, I LOVE that paw-print mold!

About 18 hours, made these last night. The recipe hardens very fast... My guess is the Steric Acid.

But this question specifically related to steric acid in regards to a shaving soap. The first recipe has steric acid in that thread, and it goes on to look at various levels of it in context of shaving soap.

It's exactly what you are after

I wasn't after a shaving soap recipe per say. I was trying to find out how Steric Acid affects soap as I consulted a Chemist friend in the attempt to create a more transparent bar. The shaving soap link was a good example of a high Steric recipe.

That much stearic acid is pretty normal for shaving soap used by traditional wet shavers. Most would of those users would suggest that if there is any problem with that recipe it would be the olive oil. Many won't purchase a shave soap with olive oil in it. Olive oil is considered a lather killer by many wet shavers.

Stearic acid is what makes the long lasting lather that shavers need. The higher the stearic acid in your soaps the better off you will be.

Back