Stephensons Aloe Vera Melt & Pour. Help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TC472

Reaction score
Morning folks,

My M&P base when melting in the microwave forms a skin which doesn't fully melt away. When I use the 1.2kg loaf mould, the top of the soap is slightly concave when it sets. And finally, when the soap does set, the top has a whitish skin a couple of mm thick, kinda like the rind of an orange (I know...weird).

The base isn't over heated (I believe) and the finished soap has great colour, holds the scent really well and lathers great. It just doesn't look as good as it could.

Oh and why the heck can't I cut a straight line!!!!!

I have used MP bases, but not that brand. I would contact the distributor and/or manufacturer first to ask that question.
Most of the MP I made was in individual molds that held 2 - 4 oz of soap each. The only MP I have made in a loaf mold was in layers and did not have that issue. So am not sure if it's the brand of soap or something else causing the issue.
Wish I could help more.

Morning folks,

My M&P base when melting in the microwave forms a skin which doesn't fully melt away. When I use the 1.2kg loaf mould, the top of the soap is slightly concave when it sets. And finally, when the soap does set, the top has a whitish skin a couple of mm thick, kinda like the rind of an orange (I know...weird).

The base isn't over heated (I believe) and the finished soap has great colour, holds the scent really well and lathers great. It just doesn't look as good as it could.

I've only had that happen once with one batch. I think something was wrong with it.

As to why you can't cut a straight line, please let me know when someone provides a solution to that problem. Then we will patent it and make millions. Lots of wonky cutters just here on SMF. 😄

Morning folks,

You didn't mention if it was a clear/transparent MP base or not.

I have had that problem with Stephensons CCA MP base...I believe theirs have a higher melting temperature.
I have found that heating in short bursts but stirring gently often ...
and checking the temperature to make sure that you don't over heat but do thoroughly heat it thru
helps with preventing the white skin layer.

I much prefer WSP's bases , less hassle and more moisturizing.

the concave issue -- I've had that happen in my loaf and individual molds too.

I cannot cut MP soap in a straight line to save my life either. :shakinghead:

I am saving up to buy the Uncle Andy Soap Cutter on Etsy,

I've only had that happen once with one batch. I think something was wrong with it.

As to why you can't cut a straight line, please let me know when someone provides a solution to that problem. Then we will patent it and make millions. Lots of wonky cutters just here on SMF. 😄

I've started labelling my soap "Wonky Soap". Seemed appropriate :p

I have had that problem with Stephensons CCA MP base...I believe theirs have a higher melting temperature.

I was thinking that last night..am I heating it up enough? 🤔. Thats the next thing to try I suppose.

I was thinking that last night..am I heating it up enough? 🤔. Thats the next thing to try I suppose.

I am trying to find Stephenson's melting points...seems to vary. 120-127 with highest at 140-150. Hoping someone with more experience with Stephenson MP can chime in here.
I find that an infrared thermometer is very helpful with maintaining a good temperature and not overheating to the point where the soap gets rubbery.

I am trying to find Stephenson's melting points...seems to vary. 120-127 with highest at 140-150. Hoping someone with more experience with Stephenson MP can chime in here.
I find that an infrared thermometer is very helpful with maintaining a good temperature and not overheating to the point where the soap gets rubbery.

From what I can see, melting point is roughly 68 C (+ or - a few degrees) so I do have room to play with. Nothing ventured etc etc

If you feel uncomfortable with a knife, you could plane off the top layer (opaque, sunken) with a vegetable slicer. AFAIK wire cutters are not ideal for M&P soap.

And/or spray the top with some rubbing alcohol? It can act as a co-solvent in M&P to make it more fluid for longer (and delay skin formation for some time), maybe to break the few inevitable air bubbles. And helps with clarity.

Photos would help.

I just (tried) used Stephenson shea m&p base. It turned to silicone tbh. Tried twice, different melting, had my thermometer, didn't allow it to go over 65°C. They state melting point of 62°C. Didn't even go fluid, straight to rubber. Expiry date is 2024.Now that I see it, I wish I made some molds out of it.
Yup, rubbery silicone. Switched to their crystal sls free base. It turned out good.

Attachments

• IMG_20220309_130134.jpg
    IMG_20220309_130134.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20220309_130116.jpg
    IMG_20220309_130116.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 19
I just (tried) used Stephenson shea m&p base. It turned to silicone tbh. Tried twice, different melting, had my thermometer, didn't allow it to go over 65°C. They state melting point of 62°C. Didn't even go fluid, straight to rubber. Expiry date is 2024.Now that I see it, I wish I made some molds out of it.
Yup, rubbery silicone. Switched to their crystal sls free base. It turned out good.

Jeezo thats not good.

It was that I wasn't heating the M&P enough.

Once I perfected the temp, everything else fell into place. I do recommend one of those infrared thermometers, makes life much easier.

Glad you solved it. Stephenson bases from what my daughter used to tell me could be tricky, so keep notes if you continue to use their bases or any for that matter and use a lot of m&p. She preferred to mostly use Essentials by Catalina's own bases although did use a couple of the Stephenson bases.

Glad you solved it. Stephenson bases from what my daughter used to tell me could be tricky, so keep notes if you continue to use their bases or any for that matter and use a lot of m&p. She preferred to mostly use Essentials by Catalina's own bases although did use a couple of the Stephenson bases.

I think the biggest thing is the levels of frustration in trying to perfect whatever product we are making.

It's a bad trait but I hate to be beaten by something like this. Fortunately in this instance...we won the battle lol

Hi there! So on the cutting of the bars, sometimes you have to get creative. One way you could try is getting a couple of thin plastic bullet journal rulers. They make them thin because often they are tucked in the journal when put away, used as a bookmark. ( Two vinyl bookmarks could work instead! )
1. Measure out the size of your bar slice, and lightly notch each corner of the soap face (mainly top and both sides left and right).
2. Pick a side, and pretend to slice the side of the bar with the ruler, from top to bottom, with even pressure. Slice gently but firmly up and down until the ruler is in 5mm or so. To where it’s not going to fall out, basically.
3. Do the same thing using a second ruler, to the other side of your slice line on the other side of the soap loaf.
4. With both rulers embedded in the loaf, take your cutting utensil and cut down the path of both rulers. They are there to keep you from migrating. Keep your knife against both rulers all the way down.
Hope I made sense!

Back