Stephenson’s crystal goat milk problem

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craftyhands

Reaction score
I used the dbl boiler method and this happened. I am new to soap making but have been making M&P since last year and never had this problem. What’s happening to the base? Hopefully, someone can tell me. It gooped up before it melted. My conclusion: I am staying away from Stephenson’s. I am attaching two pics to show what keeps happening to it. Is it bad base? by the way, the shadow is my phone...oops.
ED451926-A42F-4C48-92F8-C978C5C4B61C.jpeg
F2216606-269A-4380-898E-0E7FABF0530F.jpeg
I’m stumped.

Can you post a pic of the packaging with the label or is that gone? I heard that brand was one of the good ones so I'd probably call the company up.

Do not stir it at all. Allow the base to slowly melt on its own. It may appear to start clumping up, but DO NOT stir be patient and give it time. Try to get it to about 160 because I find this brand of base solidifies fast. I try to pour as soon as it hits about 149 150.

Question...did you follow the directions for using this new-to-you product or did you just do what you have always done? I've not worked with M&P (going to tomorrow), but I know from CP soaping...not all ingredients from companies are equal.

Stephenson's bases can be tricky with temps. I would recommend calling them, they do have good customer support. I know my daughter used a couple of Stephenson bases but much preferred EBC bases. Essentials by Catalina make some wonderful bases, that are made by them in-house.

Latest posts

Back