Stearic spots made me change a name šŸ˜³

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thanks @cmzaha !!! I used the plumeria and hardwood musk at 50/50 as you suggested and yes youā€™re right! Itā€™s a really nice blend! Thank you for the suggestion! My husband loves it! I wanted to do kind of a theme like ā€œ recollectionsā€ and name it that, but after it was out of the mold I noticed all the stearic spots or goat milk ā€” I donā€™t often get that many but I went cooler since you said it tends to accelerate. I use a recipe 40/60 since I use goat milk and butters and soy wax šŸ™„and so far itā€™s been pretty nice. But Iā€™m going to try and tweak it next time. Anyway, I like the colors and design but tried to think how I could incorporate the stearic spots in the name. It looked like a sandy sunset so decided to call it Sunset at the Casbah .. I think I might try some burnt orange in it next time.. any thoughts?? I found a picture of a sunset with the sand..

Attachments

• 3ED37669-CB98-48A4-BBA7-6C13BB8E64FF.jpeg
    3ED37669-CB98-48A4-BBA7-6C13BB8E64FF.jpeg
    675.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 9EF11B09-49BD-4C1C-A949-9DD2ADA603EB.jpeg
    9EF11B09-49BD-4C1C-A949-9DD2ADA603EB.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 33
  • EADEF724-B56A-4AF0-836E-26E8BB46B449.jpeg
    EADEF724-B56A-4AF0-836E-26E8BB46B449.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 6637F779-B8A5-4CD5-A4C4-F283A7C7AC65.jpeg
    6637F779-B8A5-4CD5-A4C4-F283A7C7AC65.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 30
Are you sure these are stearic spots? It appears to me that it might as well/additionally have mild glycerin rivers in there (which lye concentration are you working at?). The bumpy surface and the fact that some colours (rosƩ) are more prone than others make me wonder this.

Regardless what these textures are, it's beautiful soap! And always good to embrace the surprise than trying to fight it. I LOVE the idea of (ab)using spots as stars in an exotic sunset-themed soap!

Are you sure these are stearic spots? It appears to me that it might as well/additionally have mild glycerin rivers in there (which lye concentration are you working at?). The bumpy surface and the fact that some colours (rosƩ) are more prone than others make me wonder this.

Regardless what these textures are, it's beautiful soap! And always good to embrace the surprise than trying to fight it. I LOVE the idea of (ab)using spots as stars in an exotic sunset-themed soap!
Maybe? Iā€™ve not seen glycerin rivers yet that I know of. I use a 1:2 ratio most of the time now. I wasnā€™t aware of the rose colors! Thanks for telling me! this is a mica by NS called magic mushroom . I was a little surprised it had more of a rose color to it than it looked in the bag. It could be the FOs as @cmzaha said not to try swirls with them? but I figured if it accelerated fast Iā€™d plop it and regret it, but it was behaving pretty well so I continued as planned. Could that be ricing instead of stearic spots? It is more in the rose color. I did have the temp fairly lowā€¦I tend to get the little fat globs in the lye solution but I use a sieve. Maybe @cmzaha can tell if thatā€™s what she meant with the FOs? Iā€™m going to make it again and see what happens . The fragrance is really a nice blend. Thanks Owl!!
ETA.. rivers, rice and spots???

Second attempt at accomplishing this .. less spots, temperatures a tad warmer, accidentally added more sunflower oil and had to recalculate recipe. A little more unsaturated fats than I wanted, but went ahead for practice. I decided to try and add the blue and orange with the gold.. too fluid and too many swipes with the hanger swirl. So, I ended up with some pink and green. I think Iā€™m going to have a whole Casbah theme with @cmzaha scent combo! Gotta think of a name for this one.. anyone have any ideas?? Third time is the charm to get the colors right, as well as a hanger swirl. ( I have a feeling itā€™ll take more than 3 attempts tho šŸ˜‚)

Attachments

• A41D0E65-67EE-468E-AC92-BD8FD0F66B43.jpeg
    A41D0E65-67EE-468E-AC92-BD8FD0F66B43.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 24
Beautiful soap's' & the name is cute too, I think the burnt orange color would be pretty as-well. Can I ask who you bought the FO's from? sounds like a beautiful scent combo I'd like to try, is the plumeria a FO or EO?.

Last edited:
Beautiful soap's' & the name is cute too, I think the burnt orange color would be pretty as-well. Can I ask who you bought the FO's from? sounds like a beautiful scent combo I'd like to try, is the plumeria a FO or EO?.
Of course! @cmzaha recommended the plumeria and hardwood musk and said to get from California Candle . Theyā€™re both really nice! My husband loves it! Both are FOs
Thanks @Peachy Clean Soap ā˜ŗļø

Latest posts

Back