Stearic Acid Spots? Or Something Else

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darelias

Reaction score
I am curious if anyone can tell me what these streaks are in my soap? I am thinking it is stearic acid from palm oil I didn't heat well enough. Seems to be through out the whole batch. I use Coconut Oil, Olive Oil. Palm Oil, Avocado Oil and Castor Oil. I soaped at closer to room temp this time (70-80_ range as opposed to close to 110-120) like prior batches, mainly because my lye water cooled super fast and I wasn't sure if I could warm it in the microwave, so I just went with cooler oils. Is this just a cosmetic flaw? Is it safe to use? This was superfatted at 8% There are not fragrances or colorants this was a plain batch to test my recipe.

IMG-5602.JPG

Stearic/palmitic spots seem like the best explanation. As for the safety of the soap, have you done a zap test?

I would never say that I have mastered a good palm recipe, so will be interested to hear what others recommend. Since you haven’t had any responses, here’s what works for me: I try to hit the 95-100F range for a starting batter temp if the palm is more than 25% of the recipe, and 90-95F if a lower percentage. I also make sure that my melted hard fats are absolutely clear before I add the liquid oils. I rarely have stearic/palmitic spots since I started doing that. If I do get them it seems to be linked with trying to use up any last bits of batter that have gotten cool on the side of the bowl.

Thank you all for the replies. I looked up Zap testing and it does appear to be safe. I will work on better temp control and I am adjusting my recipe to add some different oils/butters so I will see how the batch turns out.

Back