Stearic acid question?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackofhearts

Reaction score
Hello all! Long time no post! I would love to catch up but 3 jobs have left me lacking in time. Anywhoo!

I have a quick question regarding stearic acid. For a couple years now I've been using it in my shave soap (like many of us) and I ran out recently. I mentioned this to my wife and how I needed to order more. The next day she had picked some up from a hobby shop. It was very thoughtful of her but I have no idea if this stuff is good. Are there different grades? She got it at hobby lobby and there was no info on the packaging. Any thoughts?
Also, I have heard that soy wax is mostly stearic, has anyone used this in a shave soap?
Thanks for your time!

Hello all! Long time no post! I would love to catch up but 3 jobs have left me lacking in time. Anywhoo!

I have a quick question regarding stearic acid. For a couple years now I've been using it in my shave soap (like many of us) and I ran out recently. I mentioned this to my wife and how I needed to order more. The next day she had picked some up from a hobby shop. It was very thoughtful of her but I have no idea if this stuff is good. Are there different grades? She got it at hobby lobby and there was no info on the packaging. Any thoughts?
Also, I have heard that soy wax is mostly stearic, has anyone used this in a shave soap?
Thanks for your time!

It's probably fine. You don't really see different grades from craft suppliers. That said, I like to buy from better suppliers that do provide information. Typically it will be sold as triple-pressed vegetable stearic or palm stearic. There is also animal derived stearic that is functionally equivalent but we don't see it much any more.

You can buy fully hydrogenated soy oil, often called soy wax, but it's uncommon. The soy wax that candle makers use is not hydrogenated to nearly that extent and is still mostly oleic acid.

I know that stearic acid could be derived from palm oil and animal source like tallow. But is there any different grade or hobby shop quality, I have no idea. ( don't live in the U.S. , but have seen members here complain about hobby shop melt and pour soap quality & price )

As for soy wax in shave soap, never tried it but here you go.

www.modernsoapmaking.com/the-best-wet-shaving-soap-recipe/

https://halcyonbaths.com/2015/08/04/the-end-of-the-soy-wax-soap-experiment-an-analysis/

www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=34264&page=66
See thread post # 651 & #652

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll give it a go. What's the worst that can happen? I make a bad soap and learn a lesson? I think I'll use it as an opportunity to try an idea I had for a shave stick. Arko style.
Thanks!

I've tried using Soy Wax in shave soap a few times and the biggest issue I've found is you can't tell how hydrogenated it actually is. I don't think any of the stuff I've tried is fully hydrogenated. You will get a very full lather that just doesn't last quite as long.

It will be great on the brush but it won't last once it's on your face. At least in my experience thus far.

I've tried using Soy Wax in shave soap a few times and the biggest issue I've found is you can't tell how hydrogenated it actually is. I don't think any of the stuff I've tried is fully hydrogenated. You will get a very full lather that just doesn't last quite as long.

It will be great on the brush but it won't last once it's on your face. At least in my experience thus far.

If it's sold for candlemaking, it won't substitute for stearic acid. It might substitute for a tropical butter, at best. You are right that we never get reliable information of the fatty acid composition of these products.

Back