Stearic acid in liquid soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph0104

Reaction score
I added the stearic acid into my recent batch of CP bar soap and it gives good amount of lather.
I wonder if I can add stearic acid to my LS as well? My LS soap alway has a problem that not foaming very well.
Has anyone tried adding stearic acid to LS and how does that turn out? Thanks.

In one of my liquid soap formulas (my Creamy Cocoa Shea formula ) I use stearic acid to transform an otherwise cloudy looking liquid amber colored soap into a lovely opaque, creamy looking liquid soap. I don't find that the stearic acid increases bubbly-type lather, though, as much as it does creamy-type lather.

IrishLass :)

Stearic acid is a saturated fatty acid found in many hard natural butters such as cocoa butter, stearic acid is usually used in bar soap as a hardening agent in small quantities and has a light lather. For LS it would perform very similarly to adding a natural hard butter.

Last edited:
From my Files:
THICKEN GLYCERIN LS WITH STEARIC ACID 4/12/11

"3bees~1flower" wrote: ...yeah. it works great.

measure out your diluted soap, say 8 oz. add 2% of that, so 0.16 oz of stearic. heat it up till the stearic melts. SB to mix well. as it cools, continue to SB periodically. you may need to add water...ml's at a time...to adjust for evaporation. i just pour a capful (from the gallon of distilled water) then SB. do this until it's completely cooled and the consistency desired. this obviously doesn't allow for clear soap, but this is fine with me. in some recipes it makes it a lovely pearlized appearance. stearic does not affect lather.

Bump Rabbit.gif
Bumping for LS Newbies. ;)

Thanks for bumping @Zany_in_CO !
I found this thread recently and decided to try stearic in LS for thickening. It worked! I used 4% of my dilution weight but did not add until fully diluted. I just added the stearic, SB a bit, let it melt and SB again. Capped and let it sit overnight. By the next day it was pearly white with a great consistency.

Is glycerin liquid soap the same as KOH liquid soap?
Yes but GLS (glycerin liquid soap) is made by subbing glycerin for water to make the lye (KOH) solution. The method is NOT recommended for Newbies due to the danger of extreme heat (210°F +) and toxic fumes that result if overheated.

The following video that introduced the process in 2011 shows how GLS can become soap in all of 2 minutes. It's a game-changer for those of us who make 100% olive oil castile liquid soap. It used to take a looong time to trace and a loooong cook when made the traditional way with water. That is no longer necessary with this method. However, since its introduction, most LS'ers use part glylcerin and part water, 50/50 more or less, to avoid the negative effects.

To learn more, there's good information here:
http://alaiynab.blogspot.com/2014/07/basic-beginner-liquid-soap-and.html

And here:
https://classicbells.com/soap/soapystuff.asp#liqu

Hello, did this pearly soap every separate in two phases, while the soap sit on shelf?

She posted that comment on March 17 2022 so she's not likely to respond. If you want to get @Kcryss's attention, or anyone else's for that matter, put an "@" in front of the name. That way she will receive a notification in her email and be able to get back to you. :thumbs: ;)

I'm not Kcryss, but I'm quite certain her LS did not separate while sitting on the shelf. Many LS'ers achieve milky creamy opaque LS that is every bit as reliable as clear.

Hello, I did experiment with adding stearic acid to the liquid soap ( classic recipe without gycerin):

- adding to little, will cause claudy soap and separation, so stearic acid will float.
- above 10% of S.A. did indeed form pearly soap. But I am affraid is still has cleansing properties.

I am curious, how much does s.a. affect ph of the soap? Will report after I get my pH stirps. .)

Back