Stearic acid in liquid soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I did experiment with adding stearic acid to the liquid soap ( classic recipe without gycerin):

- adding to little, will cause claudy soap and separation, so stearic acid will float.

- above 10% of S.A. did indeed form pearly soap. But I am affraid is still has cleansing properties.

I am curious, how much does s.a. affect ph of the soap? Will report after I get my pH stirps. .)
@desireerenoir hi! Did the PH change? Also, is it better to add the stearic acid with the oils before lye or after with dilution with water?

@desireerenoir hi! Did the PH change? Also, is it better to add the stearic acid with the oils before lye or after with dilution with water?

You can answer your second question on your own by asking yourself what your goal is --

To make soap from the stearic acid? Then add it to the fats before adding the lye.

To use stearic acid as a thickener and add a pearly luster to the finished soap? Then add after dilution.

You can answer your second question on your own by asking yourself what your goal is --

To make soap from the stearic acid? Then add it to the fats before adding the lye.

To use stearic acid as a thickener and add a pearly luster to the finished soap? Then add after dilution.
@DeeAnna
Thank you, I do want it thicker. Now, would it change the PH though? I want it to be a strong cleanser and from my understanding stearic acid moisturizes.

@DeeAnna
Thank you, I do want it thicker. Now, would it change the PH though? I want it to be a strong cleanser and from my understanding stearic acid moisturizes.
Stearic acid doesn't moisturize. In soap, it may reduce the pH somewhat, but the soap will still be soap.

Not sure why you're making this particular recipe, however, if your goal is a ~strongly~ cleansing soap. Even without the stearic acid, this recipe is going to be only a moderately mild cleanser.

@DeeAnna My understanding is that @sierrabm is wanting to thicken her 100% CO LS, per her questions over on this thread. As I expressed on that thread, I don't believe stearic acid is the right thickener for that purpose, but I'll be interested to hear more or have my mind changed based on your understanding of how well that might work for that purpose.

Stearic acid doesn't moisturize. In soap, it may reduce the pH somewhat, but the soap will still be soap.

Not sure why you're making this particular recipe, however, if your goal is a ~strongly~ cleansing soap. Even without the stearic acid, this recipe is going to be only a moderately mild cleanser.
I am trying to make a liquid dish soap so I would like it to cut grease. As is, it seems like it does a good job and it is only 1% superfat.

@DeeAnna My understanding is that @sierrabm is wanting to thicken her 100% CO LS, per her questions over on this thread. As I expressed on that thread, I don't believe stearic acid is the right thickener for that purpose, but I'll be interested to hear more or have my mind changed based on your understanding of how well that might work for that purpose.

Thank you for setting me straight. I obviously was missing important context. I'm afraid I don't have any words of wisdom to offer at this point, so I'll slink out of the discussion.

@DeeAnna no need to slink away! Right before reading this one, I just happened to have seen the other thread, which was my first clue that she wasn't talking about the recipe that was the original subject of this thread.

@DeeAnna no need to slink away! Right before reading this one, I just happened to have seen the other thread, which was my first clue that she wasn't talking about the recipe that was the original subject of this thread.
@DeeAnna @AliOop sorry for the confusion! I am going to give it a whirl and also try HEX (I think that is what it is) to see which works best. Thank you!

Back