Steaming Soap Ash

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Will a handheld clothes steamer like this work? One of my latest batches has the worst case of ash I’ve ever had on soap.
IMG_6049.JPG

I found it on a local Fb sale site for $5.

I bought a cheap one and it didn't work any better than holding the soap over a pot of water. I have washed some to get rid of it and it worked but I thought the sop looked used--maybe just cuz I knew I had it wet!!!

I was envisioning laying the bars on the table and running the steamer over them and bingobango……….the steamer I bought can not be tilted though. the trimming looks pretty sharp

@SideDoorSoaps It does get very hot and you have to move quickly. However, I am actually thinking about purchasing some thermal gloves just for this purpose. By the time the soap cools there should be no glove prints.

Alcohol will work but if the ash is super heavy forget it. I embrace it. I make too much soap to worry about a little ash. Fortunately if you use a lye discount and don't unmold to soon it can pretty much be avoided. Individual molds is what give me problems when I use them (not often).

I cover my soap with parchment or freezer paper and then put a lid on it. I do a steep water discount on my soap as well. I also plane the soap log before I slice the log up and then leave out to cure. I rarely ever get ash ... really I think it’s been years since I have since doing my normal procedure.

This time, my soap had a very heavy mica coloring and I am very new to using micas. I like to use natural botanical powders and what not. I was highly surprised to see so much ash on my soap after a day or so from removing it from the mold. That’s about the only thing I can think of that is different.

Thanks for all your ideas!

I ended up trimming off the tops from the soap ash and polished the sides lol. I have burned myself lots with steam and figured trimming was a safer option.

I agree. The way I do it now is great and takes no time at all. Line up you soaps with ash on top of a paper towel and then put a plastic shoe box over them, obviously upside down.. Make sure to leave a small area without a soap so you can place a coffee cup in with the soap. Line up the soap so you can fit all underneath - you might have to do 2 batches if you have a lot of soap. Now fill up the coffee cup with water and heat in the microwave. When its hot enough to create steam, place it under the inverted plastic box. Put something heavy on top of the shoe box to hold it down so that steam does not escape.
Leave for 30 minutes. When completed, take the box off and leave to fully dry. NO MORE ASH and NO BURNT FINGERS

Last edited:
I agree. The way I do it now is great and takes no time at all. Line up you soaps with ash on top of a paper towel and then put a plastic shoe box over them, obviously upside down.. Make sure to leave a small area without a soap so you can place a coffee cup in with the soap. Line up the soap so you can fit all underneath - you might have to do 2 batches if you have a lot of soap. Now fill up the coffee cup with water and heat in the microwave. When its hot enough to create steam, place it under the inverted plastic box. Put something heavy on top of the shoe box to hold it down so that steam does not escape.
Leave for 30 minutes. When completed, take the box off and leave to fully dry. NO MORE ASH and NO BURNT FINGERS

CUT IT OUT !! Is that for Lightly ashed, or will it work for Heavy ash ?
I ask because I get heavy ash when I use the silicone small mold. I think it holds about 2.8 oz of wet soap batter... or so mine does. And when done curing it is a solid white around it and a thick layer. Might be my Palm recipe.

Man I am going to try this tonight. I have a ton of plastic show type containers.. putting as a reminder on my phone right now !

I ask because I get heavy ash when I use the silicone small mold. I think it holds about 2.8 oz of wet soap batter... or so mine does. And when done curing it is a solid white around it and a thick layer. Might be my Palm recipe.

Man I am going to try this tonight. I have a ton of plastic show type containers.. putting as a reminder on my phone right now ![

The hotter the water the better - look at the picture in the next post.

Last edited:

Man I am going to try this tonight. I have a ton of plastic show type containers.. putting as a reminder on my phone right now !

Look at the pic - Light ash o heavy IDK - Its just ash. This is after 30 minutes in the soap sauna@ lol

Attachments

• ash.PNG
    ash.PNG
    274.9 KB · Views: 24
Wow, got it on my alarm for this evening !
TY ! I was thinking of buying a hand steamer but if this works it will be so easy !!

What i like about this method is that it actually steams the entire soap. These were a different shape so that ae laying like that for a reason, but if you stand up you loaf type soaps it will also steam the sides. Even though there is no ash there, it will add a nice sheen to the soap as you see from the picture.

Last edited:
What i like about this method is that it actually steams the entire soap. These were a different shape so that ae laying like that for a reason, but if you stand up you loaf type soaps it will also steam the sides. Even though there is no ash there, it will add a nice sheen to the soap as you see from the picture.

This is amazing! And the soap holds the shine??

I was thinking maybe if I spray the soap with water and then bust out my trusty heat gun that I could semi- steam them that way...blast the ash away!! Similar to the iron idea. I do love my heat gun.

I don’t think I want to dunk my soap in water and I do like this sauna idea but I wonder if there is a way I can do it without using the microwave.

Great ideas, all!

I didnt do it on purpose but i out a few unwraped soaps on my bathroom because they were the next i was gonna use and they had quite a bit of ash and after a couple of showers all the ash was gone.

Latest posts

Back