Steaming Soap Ash

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried it last night on a Heavy ashed tiny bar and ashed topped reg bar. Tossed in a salt bar too.
used the kettle to boil the water.
1st I did it for about 1/2 hr. not really much difference. 2nd left over night. only worked a bit on the small bars, not on the reg or salt.
Might just be my recipe.

I still say Ash is mostly about the recipe.

If I have a show that is outside and it is muddy out I have lost the ash on the top. I hate those days because I have to 'dab' the top of the soaps all day long :(

I agree. The way I do it now is great and takes no time at all. Line up you soaps with ash on top of a paper towel and then put a plastic shoe box over them, obviously upside down.. Make sure to leave a small area without a soap so you can place a coffee cup in with the soap. Line up the soap so you can fit all underneath - you might have to do 2 batches if you have a lot of soap. Now fill up the coffee cup with water and heat in the microwave. When its hot enough to create steam, place it under the inverted plastic box. Put something heavy on top of the shoe box to hold it down so that steam does not escape.
Leave for 30 minutes. When completed, take the box off and leave to fully dry. NO MORE ASH and NO BURNT FINGERS
I tried this today look how lovely they looked. Had a small amount of ash on them and all gone 7EEE5598-1898-441F-B68C-1989E1373037.jpeg:thumbs:

Sweet shoe box idea! I've steamed, and yes almost burned myself. I've tried the water spray, alchohol spray, brush technique and this looks like the perfect solution. Thanks!

I tried it last night on a Heavy ashed tiny bar and ashed topped reg bar. Tossed in a salt bar too.
used the kettle to boil the water.
1st I did it for about 1/2 hr. not really much difference. 2nd left over night. only worked a bit on the small bars, not on the reg or salt.
Might just be my recipe.

I still say Ash is mostly about the recipe.

If I have a show that is outside and it is muddy out I have lost the ash on the top. I hate those days because I have to 'dab' the top of the soaps all day long :(

As you can see my soap was covered in ash. And it works great. Did you absolutely have it air tight? Very important to keep steam from escaping. I have never had it not work so I'm surprised.

I did, it was on a hand towel so no escape.
That is why I said it may just be the recipe. I know some FO's ash more then others but I do use a good amount of Palm and wonder if that is why ?

Back